Marlin Head pump question

sickday

Reaction score
Took the kids out last week for a quick cruise and some fishing. Quickly found out that the pump in the toilet was not engaging. It would not pump water in or out of the head. If I held the dial in either position, I would throw a breaker.

I'm stumped. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Pump is Jabsco

sickday

Reaction score
Yes. So I can it be unlocked? Or am I replacing the pump?

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Marlin head

I had a similar situation that required a two part remedy. My pump would not run at all as it had some 'debris' clogging the macerator.

After clearing that, I could run the pump but a breaker would appear to blow. Tried other pumps on the boat and the same thing occurred. Turns out that the breakers on the battery switch board had all corroded enough that the juice required to run a pump would cause a fault. The corrosion added enough resistance that excess heat would be created and the thermal breaker would stop passing the current. After it cooled down current would resume until such time as a high load, like that from one of the pumps caused it to fail again.

I just replaced the breakers (thanks Jeff at Grady for the assistance!) and all seems normal now. Short answer - check that the breakers are not the cause of the problem but testing that what goes in one side is coming out the other.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the voltage is good and motor is good, you can get a pump rebuild kit.

It can either lock up or run and pump zero when shot.

I presume no one tried to flush anything but effluient?

When I bought my boat, I found a reusable type scott towel wrapped up in the chopper blade.

It's a messy job, by the way.

Be sure you don't loose a drop of effluient into the boat below decks when working on it, it will still smell when you sell the boat one day. Wear latex or nitral gloves.

Use plastic tarp undeneath working area. Have a small pail available, and rope to tie up hoses when they come off, don't let a hose fall down below the point it was connected in elevation.

sickday

Reaction score
yes, seacock is open

I assume effluient is holding tank fluid? I use some to keep the tank clean, but I always pump out whenever the head is used.

I'll check the fuse box, but I think its more than that. It sounds like the pump wants to work. The switch will go when I turn the dial and hold it. If I dont hold it it wont throw.

It almost sounds as if one of my boys flushed something they shouldnt have,,,,rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Effluient is a nice word for: you-know-what.

It's not the treatment fuid.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When you take off the large hose (inlet) to the macerator, look down the bore.

sickday

Reaction score
got it! don't want that smell in my cabin!

I'll pull the hose and look, but I bet I'll be doing the pump rebuild kit