Marlin Head

boatino

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2000 Marlin this year. Does the head get flushing water from the freshwater tank or external water outside the boat? Also my freshwater tank smells like rotten eggs after the water being in there for more than 2 weeks. I've been adding the conditioner from West Marine but it only lasts for a couple of days. Is it safe to use bleach in the tank and lines or do you have to worry about deterioration. I'm not drinking the water just cleaning off stuff with it. Thanks for your help.

John

freddy063

Reaction score
I have a sailfish my water comes from the outside water, there are two valves that open in and pump out water on my boat, check to see there are working and in the postion you want. where do you get the water you put in your farahwater tank? If you can get city water that is good for drinking it will be your cleanest water over a well. and I add bleach all the time, just to keep it clean and free of stuff that might form some kind of growning green killing mold. thats my 2 cent worth.

Grady678

Reaction score
boatino said:
I have a new to me 2000 Marlin this year. Does the head get flushing water from the freshwater tank or external water outside the boat? Also my freshwater tank smells like rotten eggs after the water being in there for more than 2 weeks. I've been adding the conditioner from West Marine but it only lasts for a couple of days. Is it safe to use bleach in the tank and lines or do you have to worry about deterioration. I'm not drinking the water just cleaning off stuff with it. Thanks for your help.

John

Very important you can identify every single thru hull in the boat. Rule of thumb is they all need to be turned off while underway so the hull doesn't get flooded if the plumbing fails. Yes, the head is a thru hull fitting for intake and is accessed under the 8" circle plate just outside the head. You're macerator flush thru hull is located right next to it. High water alarms are cheap and a great peace of mind if you plan on leaving these 'open' all the time. Bleach is safe to drink in quantities less than a tablespoon per gallon. The key is to put enough bleach into that big 38 gallon tank to truly rid the smell that has permeated the plastic tank and lines. I'd suggest 1 gallon, fill to top and run the hot water line in the head until at least 6 gallons has past through. Don't turn on the Hot water heater...just let it run to fill up the hot water tank. Let every line in the boat run a few minutes.....there are atleast 6 if I remember. Cold and hot sides for each faucet. Let this sit for about 2 weeks before flushing all the lines and draining the tank dry. Refill and enjoy!

boatino

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. I'll try that this weekend. Grady 678, do you mean that you turn off your head, washdown & livewell through hull every time you run somewhere? I know the ones in the stern bilge are nearly impossible to reach.

John

Grady678

Reaction score
boatino said:
Thanks Guys. I'll try that this weekend. Grady 678, do you mean that you turn off your head, washdown & livewell through hull every time you run somewhere? I know the ones in the stern bilge are nearly impossible to reach.

John

I go 15 miles offshore solo and keep everything in closed position. Obviously I keep the livewell open if I'm carrying some in the tank. Once the high water alarm is 'finally' installed.....I'll relax a little and open the head thru hull and probably keep it open 100% of the time. If the stern seacocks are impossible to reach.....you are missing the rod extensions that extend to the access plate. This size boat can carry 500 gallons of seawater before you recognize there is a problem. I've had this happen on a smaller scale with a smaller boat. i.e. If plumbing fails on the thru hull PICKUP unit on the livewell while you are running....several boats have sunk when they finally reach their fishing grounds and come to a stop. It's only then do you realize the boat is nowhere near level.