Marlin Information

TEAMSABB

Reaction score
I am considering a 2002 Marlin but have herd conflicting reports about how it handles and how it drifts while fishing. I love the boat, but have young kids and want to be sure that they will be comfortable if I take them with me for the day. I would love some feedback from all you Marlin owners.

SOJOURN

Reaction score
Marlin Info

I went from a Gulfstream to a Marlin this year - All I can say is buy it. We used our boat 90% of the time on family outings which included our 14 mo old grandson. In the 30ft class you can't find a safer, more stable boat. BTW - I have 250's

jehines3

Reaction score
We bought our Marlin when we found out my wife was pregnant with our second. Our 21' Seaswirl Striper WAC was just too small. It's hard to believe that we've had the boat two seasons now. It works well for us, a bit more cabien space would be better, but it works.

Plenty of space in the cockpit to let the kids roam and a very solidly locking stern door with baby gate complexity type latch.

I can't comment on the drift fishing as I haven't done it with this rig. jh

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Buy it and don't look back. Great boat for family, cruising and fishing. Rides well and drifts well, plenty of room but not too big that you need a crew to sail.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I upgraded from a 23 Hydrasport walk around to a Marlin. I had both boats at my dock for a while and the Marlin made the Hydra look like a bath tub toy. I have two children and they feel completly safe on the boat. The cockpit sides are high. The walkaround is deep. The cabin is very comfortable for little ones to be out of the sun. This is an allround great boat, family friendly, easy to handle for one.
This afternoon my son and I are going to go out an anchor at Elliot Key, fish a little, look at the stars, have some bbq, and battle NCAA college baseball on the playstation.

LI Grady

Reaction score
I've only owned my '90 Marlin for a few months and have only fished it a handful of times so far. All trips have been in the bay so far.

As of now I'm impressed. Whether on the hook or drifting the boat handles wakes (large party boat type wakes) very well. My point of comparission is my 40ft Pacemaker and to be honest the are about equal in this regard.

With its extra length and substainal weight the Pacemaker obviously handles wakes/waves better but again I'm very impressed with how close the Grady is in this department. More so considering the fact that the Grady is an easy 10kts faster and about a third of the weight. In fact I have no doubt that if I backed off the throttles a bit the Grady would be just about even with the Pacemaker.

Bottomline. Very impressive boat. I can't wait to shark fish with her next year

ahill

Reaction score
El Jefe
My 272, Floridays, is docked at Homestead Bayfront Park.
I've been going to Elliot Key since the 50's. Next time your there contact me on VHF ch 72. We're usually off Coon Point.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
The boat is great for family and fishing. No problems at all. High bow rail, high gunnels, very stable platform for what you want to do.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ahill, roger that. It sure was nice to have coffee and breakfast at the sand bar this a.m. at Sands Cut without any other boats around.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well since all the other Marlin owners have chimed in... :lol:

The 300 is an amazing boat and that fishes, cruises, drifts, rides, very well in any reasonable sea conditions. I was out 30nm this past Friday in 12-14 kts winds and a solid 3' sea. No problem. A tad annoying but that is about it. The boat handled it well, only rolling slightly when in a beam sea. We rode in at 22 to 28 kts. in comfort while tossing some spray every once in awhile. There are better pure fishing boats and better pure cruising boats but I know of NO other boat that does all of these as well as the Marlin.

Highly recommended!

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I second what everyone else had to say... buy the Marlin and you will NOT be disappointed. Other than extending the running length of the hull to the end of the euro transom that hull is still the same today as it was when they first produced it in 1989... that should tell you something. Only thing I would suggest is what someone else already hit on... look ahead and see if this boat cabin will fit your family size and needs a couple of years down the road. The 33 Express has a much larger cabin, more berth space and there are some fantastic priices on used ones right now. Good luck with your decision.

ahill

Reaction score
El Jefe
We got out late and it was a beautiful sunset, flat calm. 2 am a front came through and wind kicked up to 25 or so from NW. You know the rock & roll we had for the rest of the night

Hungry Ghost

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Marlin, had it 6 yrs, just repowered with 250 yams. Handles like a sport boat, great for family outtings as well as fishing and scuba diving, even did some skiing. Do experience some forward wind drift in close quarters at times, otherwise no regrets.