Marlin Livewell Stand pipe clogs

Meanwhile

Reaction score
While fishing live bait for albacore, using Anchovies, my drain became clogged with dead or dying chovies.

Has anyone done a modification of the drain to avoid over flowing?

I had the pipe partially screwed out so the bottom two drain holes were exposed, but the suction was such that the little chovies could not escape the flow.

My search here turned up no such mod.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thinking out loud, what if you drilled a bunch of small holes all over the pipe so that flow is not reduced totally when a dead when gets sucked on

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not knowing much about these systems, but... Maybe some type of slip on "cage"? Something like a wire mesh contraption that slips over the pipe. Think upside down "cup" shape with a hole in the (normally) bottom of the cup. If this cage would be about 3" in diameter, it should keep the little fishies far enough away that the suction they experience would be less. Slip the cage on when you have little guys in there, remove when you need to.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - I've seen cages like this at Home Depot - they're used to keep leaves out of gutters. May need two of these and/or wrapped with a finer mesh screen.

exudedude

Reaction score
I use a plastic scouring ball like you get at the grocery store works great.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I'll pick up a plastic scruby thing and give it a try. We are also picking up a box of IQF anchovy so if the live bait dies, they become dead bait and chum with their brethren, expensive, but bait all the same.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Looks like a great place to start! If it's still too strong, just go to a bigger bottle or wrap the existing one with a white scouring pad and rubber bands (for another possible idea, anyways).