Marlin - many thanks and questions

liinw8

Reaction score
I'm about to close and take delivery of a '99 Marlin with generator and AC. Foremost, a sincere THANK YOU to the entire GG community. I've searched and read numerous helpful and invaluable posts in helping me choose and learn about the Marlin. I'll have to inspect everything more closely when I take delivery, but in the meantime I'll appreciate any heads up on the following:

1. I probably need to replace the voltmeter on the electrical panel. The AC and DC systems function properly, but the voltmeter doesn't register. It could be as simple as a disconnected or loose wiring connection, but I suspect the meter needs replacing. I recall reading that someone called Grady or otherwise discovered the replacement part to replicate the original gauge which is no longer available. Before I contact Grady, does anyone know the new replacement part and source?

2. Does ANYBODY use the awkward post side fishbox for inshore fishing (stripers largest species) - maybe? Offshore fishing (e.g., tuna) - probably not? I assume most people just bring a cooler on board or maybe use a fish bag for larger species like tuna. Do people with large coolers just keep it to one side (no extra room aft with the molded bench seat) and lose that fishing space in the cockpit?

3. Does the AC condensation drain to the sump box, or does only the shower drain to the sump box? I haven't studied the schematics closely yet, maybe the answer is in there...

4. I'm confused how the battery charger integrates with the shore power, engines, and generator. I assume if the transfer switch is set to shore power and while hooked up to shore power, the battery chargers (2 new battery chargers, not the single big older style, if that makes a difference) charge all 4 batteries (2 for the engines, and 2 house batteries), but what happens when the transfer switch is not on shore power and the boat is using DC power either with or without the generator also powering the AC system? I guess I'm confused how the engines/alternators and the AC-powered battery chargers interact. Assuming I'm running the generator underway, do I just avoid turning the battery chargers on by keeping that switch off on the AC panel so the alternators charge the batteries instead of the battery chargers. Come to think of it, since the boat has 2 battery chargers, maybe it depends on exactly how the boat is setup with the 2 separate battery chargers and the separate house batteries.

5. I'm considering relocating the 12" Garmin GPS/FF from the inside overhead electronics box to the console to be flush mounted which will require installation of a fabricated or pre-fabricated console faceplate out of starboard or maybe something better (maybe lexan? aluminum?) I've seen a few setups in prior posts and it looks like most people just use starboard, but I think I'd prefer lexan or aluminum. Anyone have any suggestions on material, fabrication, where to source the material, installation?

6. Has anyone added storage under the hardtop to a '99 vintage Marlin (i.e., before they added the extra "bubble" height to the hardtop) for life jackets, and if so, what solutions have people engineered aside from an off the shelf t-bag, which I'm not particularly fond of and don't usually fit that well on boats (a t-bag also looks small for the Marlin).

7. How efficient or inefficient is the reverse cycle heat pump in colder weather. Does it work well enough during late season striper fishing to heat the helm area with the curtains down and the cabin door open?

8. I read about using a plunger and drill contraption to winterize systems and I understand how it works, but I haven't been able to find such contraption for sale anywhere. Does it have to be homemade? I'm willing to make the contraption if that's required, in which case what's the best way to make it (just take a plunger, replace the wood handle with a hose, and you're done (is the reference to a drill just to drill out a hole in the center of the plunger?), or else where online can I purchase the contraption pre-made?

A lot of questions, I know, and I"ll probably have more. Looking forward!! THANKS AGAIN - Ed.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats on your new boat - you will love it. I was out in one yesterday and it handled some pretty sloppy conditions marvelously.

I own a Sailfish which is the little sister to your Marlin. The Marlin I am the most familiar with is shown here:

http://www.twocaptainscharters.com/wp-c ... 153151.jpg

In that photo, you can see the life jackets stored under the hardtop and the fish tote box in the center. They don't use the built in box for fish as far as I know and I don't either on my Sailfish. They have a large GPS/FF display flush mounted to the console as you are thinking - works great.

You can view addition photos here:
http://www.twocaptainscharters.com/photos/

A great place to look for ideas is http://www.popyachts.com/ because they post about 40 photos of every boat they list. You have to give them an email address to gain access, however.

Good luck,
-Scott