Marlin motor height

georgemjr

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am interested in any input you may have on your motor height and performance on the 30' Marlin. I have a (new to me)2000 30' Marlin with twin 250 2 strokes. I just picked up Mercury Rev 4 propellers and am debating my motor height for optimal performance. Currently I am in the lowest position (highest hole) for the motors. I understand that the 4 blades should enable me to move the motor up a hole, as the have better "bite," over the 3 blades. I have also heard that the motors are low no matter what prop I am running (others are not running in the lowest position). Any real world experience with Marlins, motor height, and props would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, george

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Let us know how you make out.

On paper I would not put 4 bladed props on a marlin because of the heavy cabin. The marlin 300 already has a bow down ride and I fear the props will add to the issue.

Fishtales

Reaction score
wrapped up and put away. if i get to it before spring, I'll let you know....

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I run 4 bladed props on my 250 G2's ( the props were designed specifically for the Evinrude G2) and yes they are recommended for the increased bite........and they do. I'll measure the distance from the cavitation plate to the keel tomorrow.

You are currently running Yamaha OX 66 Saltwater Series II Injected 250's .....yes?

Frome the images below, the cavitation plates on both the OX66's as well as the new G2's are in nearly the same position ( even with the running surface). The is absolutely NO issue with the 4 blades on the new motors.

Attachments

• OX66 copy.jpg
    OX66 copy.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,549
  • G2-1.JPG
    G2-1.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,549

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Another Distraction said:
Let us know how you make out.

On paper I would not put 4 bladed props on a marlin because of the heavy cabin. The marlin 300 already has a bow down ride and I fear the props will add to the issue.

Bow down ??? What motors are you running on your Marlin 300?

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Yes, confirmed that my new motors are set in the same position ( cavitation plate in line with running surface) as my 2 stroke Yamahas

We are running Evinrude Rx4 15x18 4-blade props. Props combined with the high torque of the G2's put the Marlin 300 on plane quickly and allow a top speed of 47 mph with a painted bottom.

Attachments

• photo 1-3.JPG
    photo 1-3.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 1,516
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 1,516

Fishtales

Reaction score
Same here on the bow down comment. I don't find that at all. I need to trim the motors a bit at cruise and a lot if I want to go WOT. I think the ride is pretty darn good out of the hole to get up on plane. The boat certainly does not pop vertical out of the hole but I think bow down ride isn't right either.

georgemjr

Reaction score
1998sailfish, thanks for the info. I am jealous of those G2's. Sweet motors. Yes, I am running the OX66's. I am looking forward to the increased bite of the 4 blades and improved performance. I didn't understand the "too heavy of a cabin for 4 blades" comment either. Everything I have read about the 4 blades and everyone I talked to has said they give you more lift, better performane, better bite, lower top end. I figured the increased lift and bite might allow for raising the motors 1 hole and improving the performance even more.