Marlin motor spacing

ahill

Reaction score
Thanks. Have you run a prior year Marlin? How much improvement in docking etc. with motors have you noticed?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I had an earlier 2002 Sailfish and the motors were much closer. I beleive the ability to dock with the extra spacing between the motors is easier, but it is a different hull. It does appear much easier, or maybe my skill has increased. Then again, this one has a thruster, so I never have got in any trouble, even when it is blowing pretty good.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No, sorry. They went from 26 to 32 inch centers. My boat spins great but I can't speak for the closer engines. The GW made the change for the 4 strokes IIRC.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Correct me if I'm wrong, any Marlin of any year can spread out the twins from the industry standard 26 inch, to Yamaha only 4 stroke standard 29 inch, and today to wider by Grady spec.

26 is the current standing industry standard min 2 and 4 strokes, and 29 is the one exception for the Yamaha V6 frour stoke only, recommeded mins.

F300/350 excluded.

Just have to plug old transom borings.

Plan Sea

Reaction score
I have a 2002, so can I spread my motors? And if so, how?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why do you want to spread them?

What differences are you expecting?

Each motor would be lifted and hung off transom during work, mark and bore new holes (can make a manilla folder template from old holes), seal former holes, lower motor and caulk and rebolt.

Do same for other motor.

I bet rigging and lines would be long enough, as is, but need to verify. On tilt and lock to lock turn.

If you are a competant DIYer, just need one of those Pep Boys car motor hoists, 150 bucks or so. The holes are easy to fill and seal properly.
Except for hoist, job is all labor.

Be sure to mark and drill new holes in right place, no shoemaker work here now! So measure three times and drill once. You may want to use a drill guide so holes are plumb to transom since they are long.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I forgot, the teleflex steering tie rod needs to be changed.

100 bucks or so for that.

Plan Sea

Reaction score
I have a very hard slip to back into. The spacing on my motors give me very little control if the wind is blowing. If I try to move the bow over, I lose the stern.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Is the support on the internal portion of the transom designed to have the motors wider? I know there is an additional piece of angle aluminum on my boat in the specific spot the motors are placed. Will you get better control: yes. Will it be night and day: probably not. My sailfish ('01) had motors on top of each other. I learned to dock it even in difficult conditions. I can't believe it would be worth the trouble, but if you do, speak with Grady first. Make sure the internal support is OK for a wider placement...

ahill

Reaction score
Thanks, I control the boat really well. High winds 25+ on any beam 1/4 are the issue.
I'm not thinking of changing the Sailfish rather looking at moving into a Marlin when(if) the Sailfish sells and would like one with the wider spacing.

Grady678

Reaction score
ahill said:
Thanks, I control the boat really well. High winds 25+ on any beam 1/4 are the issue.
I'm not thinking of changing the Sailfish rather looking at moving into a Marlin when(if) the Sailfish sells and would like one with the wider spacing.

whew....what a relief. I was thinking you had a Marlin and were going to spread the engines. Yes, the Marlin will spin in calm winds and current.