Marlin new 300 Verado and Prop intel

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Repowered my 2007 30' Marlin with 2022 300 Verado's V-8 after 15 years of use on the Yamaha 250's. Ken at PropGods sold me some Q4 (similar to the Rev4 Merc) for the old motors which worked great on the 250's for hole shot and stern lift, and Ken said give them a try on the 300's first. These Merc engines rated 5200-6000 RPM and the Q4's gave me 5500 WOT 35kts/40mph but fuel consumption was worse than the 250's by 0.1-0.2 depending on speed/RPM. Here in the Pacific NW I don't really care about top end speed due to debris in the water, I prefer to cruise at 30mph or less. My mechanic and Ken recommended going back to the 3 blades for better fuel economy.

Ken recommended Mirage+ 15 3/4X15" but didn't have any, so he shipped me the SOLAS model in same config. My mechanic has been selling my friends Enertias, and mechanic had a LH demo Enertia 16X17. I bought the RH and strapped them on yesterday. WOT was 5750 at 41.3kts/47.5pmh, and cruise sweet spot seemed to be 4200rpm at 29kts/33mph at 1.3gph total.

The engines are broken in to Merc specs, but only have 22 hours, mostly trolling, so mechanic thinks there may be some further break in and efficiency down the road. I'm going to run these Enertias this weekend fishing for more testing, and might swap out to see what the SOLAS does too, but at this point I'm thinking the Enertias are probably a hit. Enertia does have a 16X16.5" that could give me another 100rpm, but I think I'm right in the ballpark....?

Just FYI for those of you considering a repower in the future. Comments welcome for educational discussion... interesting prop, the Enertia. And Ken is awesome. -Randy

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats on the repower!

IMHO getting 5750 @WOT and in the upper 40s is really good an where you want to be. Also I presume you're cruise is getting 1.3nmpg or 1.3mpg and not GPH which I'm guess would be in the 19 range between the two engines. Anyhow pretty efficient for a Marlin.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats on the repower!

IMHO getting 5750 @WOT and in the upper 40s is really good an where you want to be. Also I presume you're cruise is getting 1.3nmpg or 1.3mpg and not GPH which I'm guess would be in the 19 range between the two engines. Anyhow pretty efficient for a Marlin.
Thanks! If I wrote GPH i was in error, yes I meant 1.3 mpg. Not kmpg.

Ran them all weekend they seem good. After I burned off a bit of fuel 1.3 was the standard between 4200-4550 at 30-34mph.. there’s lots of room to trim these up and get good mileage, although there is some porpoising and the mpg goes down with less trim/tabs down. Will be interesting in moderate seas, the islands were flat glass this weekend.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have a pair of the eco enertias on my 330 with the same motors as you. I have a set of the mirage props also Ken recommended these to me also . Boat doesn’t run near as fast with the mirages.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Last week ran the inside passage from Blaine, WA, to Craig, AK in 23 run hours, two nights on the dock. 1.3mpg was the best I got at 4300 RPM and 30kts (34.5mph). Averaged 1.0 for the entire trip including some bad weather and in and out of fuel docks, etc... Motors are sewing machine quality and hummed the whole way. GREAT BOAT. I'm still thinking I should be getting better economy, but i'll take it the way she performs. Great hole shot, great top end, and reasonable sweet spot.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
That sounds fun but a bit of a grind. I put off my inside passage trip due to the fuel costs. Priced the trip out of my budget.

Glad you found a winning pair of props.

Curious what you got for the old engines? Did the sell quickly?

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
$7500 each. Sold quickly.

Fuel cost was definitely an issue, we planned the trip when it was more reasonable. But even at the higher prices it was well less than half of barging via AML or the Ferry. The best way IMO would be to drive to Prince Rupert, but the ferry from Rupert to Ketchikan is still out of service for a handful of reasons... I think they are currently upgrading the dock and terminal. I look forward to that ferry running again as I'd like a truck and the trailer up there.

Reactions: Meanwhile