Marlin or Sailfish?

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Very Nice site....No South East or Carolina (North or South), but no one's perfect (Joke) I'm new to this forum and am sure that this question has been and can be debated for hours. Finally got "permission" to pull the trigger and add a boat to the family. Have found several Marlin and Sailfish hulls with 2 stroke and 4 stroke power. I am pretty sure I want the 4 stroke power option but I am not as familiar with the explicit differences of the Marlin vs. Sailfish hulls. I am looking at 1997-2002 hulls. Four boats keep coming up as viable options and one is a 1997 and the other is a 1999, a Marlin and a Sailfish of each year. Very similar electronics and all have the curtains only real differences I'd seen so far is trailer or not. I know there has to be more then that, but i am not even sure I am looking in the right directions. Please help me figure out what are the differences and advantages to each hull are/is.

Thanks for the welcome, in advance!!

GORDO in SC

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned a 97 272 before my current 2004 Marlin. It was a great boat. The 300 is essentially a larger 282. The cockpit is huge for a 30' boat. It really depends on your budget and the condition of the preowned choices. Here are some things that made me want to trade up. After almost 7 years I still love my Marlin and don't have the "trade up" fever.

o 4 stroke power
o much more space at helm, especially between seats
o better ride into headsea
o larger cockpit
o more cabin space and storage
o more stable in beam sea

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Those are the type things I have been wondering. I normally fish out of Charleston, SC and we are not known for "perfect weather" year round so handling of various sea conditions is something I was concerned about. I am not a small guy, (6'2 375 and falling), I do not fish with small people either and I want something that I can run with buds and gear and not feel on-top of anyone.

After all I have been reading I am really leaning toward the 1999 300 with 05 4-strokes.

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Megabytes. I pushed Submit too quickly.

onofishing

Reaction score
The Marlin is a big guy boat. We are about the same size and yes I have big frends too. I fish Charleston also and the F250's are great. A normal day to the stream is 145 gallons.

http://www.onofishing.com

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Ono - NICE RIDE and Nice web Site. You hit all the points I was wondering and then some. The Marlin I am looking at is powered by the 225 4-strokes. Does that sound like it will be under-powered?

I am Sea-Trialing the boat in the morning and sure I will have tons more questions. Either that or a big smile on my face.

Thanks again for all the info and help.

GORDO

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If money isn't a problem then get the Marlin. I have owned both just like Megabytes and am extremely happy with the Marlin. It is a much bigger boat in everyway and has plenty of storage in the mid-berth which is more than double what you get in the Sailfish. The helm area is much roomier and so is the cabin, head & v-berth. And in my opinion you'll have to look a long time to find another 30'er as sea worthy as the Marlin. And NO... F225's are not under-powered.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HDGWJOE said:
If money isn't a problem then get the Marlin. I have owned both just like Megabytes and am extremely happy with the Marlin. It is a much bigger boat in everyway and has plenty of storage in the mid-berth which is more than double what you get in the Sailfish. The helm area is much roomier and so is the cabin, head & v-berth. And in my opinion you'll have to look a long time to find another 30'er as sea worthy as the Marlin. And NO... F225's are not under-powered.

What he said.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Not sure if this applies in your situation, but the Marlin has a gernerator option and it is not available in the Sailfish. FWIW, I've crawled around in both and the Marlin is MUCH bigger.

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Dealing with Broker now. Will let yall know as soon as I know something. It is a VERY NICE BOAT. Lots of Beam and Tons of room everywhere for anything I'd need to do, short of launching F-18's off the Deck!

GORDO

ahill

Reaction score
I have a '98 Sailfish, thought it was big until I went on a 30 yesterday. HUGE difference.
Now I can't wait to sell or trade into a 30!

sickday

Reaction score
What they said! But two major issues to consider, the Marlin isn't a boat to trailer around and fuel burn. As long as you anticipate the fuel issue and plan on keeping it in the water you'll b a happy man. Like me ,,,,,no buyers remorse here, good luck

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You really can't go wrong with either boat. I have a 272 2000 Sailfish and I love it. Has taken me to and from the East Coast canyons (45-75 miles) many many times over without a problem or worry. Have been in flat calm and huge seas and she has never let me down. In fact, we only once had water come over the transom and it was inside the Ocean City inlet when a freak wave hit us. No worries, the water quickly drained out. I would however like some more room and generator on board and have been thinking of moving up to a 33-35 footer. If you can afford, go with the bigger boat but have it checked over top to bottom. My sailfish has 225 YAM 2 strokes and they handle the boat well. I would prefer to see 250's on the marlin. Also, if you can get 4 stoke, do it cause you'll save a ton in oil. We burn about 2.5 gallons (premium plus) oil per fishing trip ($65-$75 bucks worth). Good luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Had both a 2002 Salifish and a 2006 Marlin. No comparison with room or ride. The Marlin rides like a big boat, the Sailfish is not a bad boat, but the Marline just feels sooo much better in the water. Bottom line, if you have the money get the Marlin.
Other than that, everyone has said all that needs to be said....

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Really like the Marlin. Exact right size and everything I am looking for. Made offer. Owner accepted. Now waiting for survey to be completed. Keeping my fingers crossed but I "think" I might be fishing that Marlin soon! Thanks for all the responses. Seating is the only thing I think the Marlin needs and I believe my 180qt cooler will make a great bench seat! Also may need to aquire one of those portable HONDA Generators. This Marlin didn't have one on it already.

ONO - I found you Dry-Stacked while wandering the Marina's of Charleston. BEAUTIFUL BOAT!. Are you all happy there?

GORDO

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Closed on the boat Tuesday. Bringing her up to Charleston on Friday via the ICW. Thanks for everyone's help!

So who is the keeper of the secret handshake?

cbartle60

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you still happy with the Marlin? I have a 240 offshore and am considering a272/282 or Marlin if I can find a good deal on a used one

Fishtales

Reaction score
yep!, and I'm still here and I still own the marlin. comments still stand.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry Fish,,,,thought he was talking to gordo in SC. And we're glad you're still here! :cool: