Marlin purchase

Grady678

Reaction score
I'm 7 days away from cutting a check for a used Marlin and would greatly appreciate any feedback on these 3 questions.

1. Any known problems with 2002 F225's. Plan to have compression check and overall health check by certified Yamaha mechanic. Very low hours.

2. Where would I install an aftermarket 'small' airconditioner? Is there just a single water drain that could easily connect to an existing overboard discharge.

3. Other than surveying moisture in transom and engines checked....anything in particular I should look for?

Thank you!!! Much appreciated!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1. the '02 ish f200/225 had a minor bushing squeal every now and then. yamaha said no problems. mine came and went without any other issues.

2. the '02 had an option for ac so i would expect there is a place for it. someone with a marlin will probably answer (or you can go directly to gw for the specs).

3. a quality survey should be done. i would get a real boat expert, not just some guy with a moisture meter and shingle.

good luck, ron

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Marlin

I have 02's, no issues other than that bushing noise. That was fixed with a little grease. They are great motors and the boat runs great with them and economically. My boat is a 1997 and rock solid. Only issue I had was the hardtop started delaminating but Grady replaced with a brand new one last season. I do believe you have a different top anyway. Good luck.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1. Motors are excellent. I would ask mechanic to give you print out on engine history.

2. On my 06 Marlin the a/c unit is installed below the steps in the cabin. I would recommend you get the factory unit if at all possible. Ours works quite well with the heat and the a/c.

3. Check out everything: cushions, curtains, hull sides for waves, accessories, steering lines, hoses, wiring, etc.

Good luck! I think you will be very happy, we certainly are with ours.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are some postings of exhaust corrosion on these motors. Seems related to motors not being flushed as recomended.
I would guess moored boats would be more susceptible to this. However it is expensive to fix and should be investigated.
As Grady's have many sytems it is worth checking every system out . How old are the electrics, head, pumps etc.?

bc282

Reaction score
my current 282 Sailfish is the largest boat i've owned having upgraded from a 22' WA. It came with more features and was a used boat unlike the 22' boat that i bought brand new. The surveyor caught a couple items and i requested those things be fixed prior to delivery (bilge pump and manual head not pumping) and the owner had them fixed. But a couple other things were missed and wished that they were fixed too (submersible macerator pump in holding tank needs replacing, it's literally a sh-tty job and the pump is not cheap at over $600), fresh water system doesn't have good pressure at all stations, battery charger is questionable and may need replacing, port cuddy window leak and throttle needed adjusting.
I now know that a good surveyor is worth paying but it still means i need to check everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) myself and not depend on someone else to catch stuff. The more you know the better decision you can make and offer a fair price.

I'd feel fine with a good engine survey on the F225's. Mine are the same vintage of 2002 and working fine (but only about 400 hours on them).

Grady678

Reaction score
I'm definitely having a Certified Yamaha mechanic go through the engines and already aware of macertaor problem. Will be getting a surveyor also as their are more systems on this than my Gulfstream. I'm reading this thread everyday and appreciate the comments and encourage any others to chime in. Thanks!

Bama96

Reaction score
No problems with my 02' F225s. 1200 hours. You will love the Marlin. Cruises around 26-28 MPH. Man what a ride. :D Mine has AC and a gen set and she is for sale if your deal on this one falls thru.

Grady678

Reaction score
Made PURCHASE...Thanks!

Had 6 hour survey on boat and 2 hour survey on engines. Everything checked out and she transports to South Carolina Tuesday. Thanks for the replies and Merry Christmas to all!!!

Tight Lines

Richard

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats Rich..Glad to hear everything is working out for you. You are gonna love the Marlin..She is an all around fishing-crusing-whatever you like to do on a boat,Machine.Enjoy and Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's