Marlin rear bilge access panel questions

liinw8

Reaction score
My '99 Marlin is currently under shrinkwrap but I have an access door and I'm taking care of a few things over the winter. When I winterized, I removed the rear access panel in order to service the generator and some other stuff. The panel was embedded in a ton of caulking which made it difficult to remove, but surprisingly there were no screws to fasten the panel to the lip which it rests on. It doesn't look there were any prior screw holes either. Any issues with my just recaulking when I'm ready to reinstall the panel in the spring, without screwing the panel down? I really don't want to drill into the panel and lip if I don't have to, and I doubt the panel would move around or come loose without the screws since there are no screws there to begin with. Also, I remember reading some older posts where someone recommended putting wax paper in between the deck and the panel so the caulk only adheres to the panel. Has anyone successfully done that? It seems like it would work better in theory than practice, would make it difficult to run the caulking, and would compromise the water tight seal which the caulking is supposed to make. Thanks, Ed.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
You shouldnt have any issues installing it without screws. Just make sure you prep everything good. Lay some caulk down where the hatch lays then just press it into place. Use a plastic scraper or something of the like to remove any excess that comes out so your left with a nice bead. Have thinner ready to wipe any excess that makes it to other unwanted areas. Let it cure for a day without stepping on it etc.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I've heard that putting braid line in the seam makes subsequent removal easier. Has anyone done this and had it worked?