Marlin Reverse Polarity Problem

Rotarytom

Reaction score
The Reverse Polarity light illuminates when shore power cord is connected to 30 amp, shore switch is on, and 120 v power switch
is flipped on the main power control panel. Everything is OK with generator power. A Marine Electrician checked the 120v power
switch and said it was bad. Replaced switch, same result. Any suggestions?

Hoghunter

Reaction score
If you're not getting the reverse polarity when running the generator then the problem in my opinion lies either in your shore power cord, the place where your plugging in the shore power cord or possibly the breaker that's under your starboard gunnel.

If it was a problem with the 120 circuit on your boat then would have the same problem when using the genset. It sounds like someone already changed out the 120 switch for shore power. So if that had been the problem that would be resolved. Didn't the technician check the leads to make sure it worked when he installed it for you. If not then it would seem to me you got screwed.If he checked and confirmed that the switch/circuit was connected properly then you shouldn't have a reverse polarity.

grady23

Reaction score
I not an electrician but I would get my money back for the switch and find a new electrician. What about the polarity at the dock -- is that wired correctly. Has any work been done to the electric service at the marina lately ??

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i have the reverse polarity light come on once in awhile - It is always due to alose conncetion at the marina receptacle.