Marlin steering system

tiderunner

Reaction score
Is anyone running a Marlin with only one steering cylinder and just a ty-bar conecting the port side engine? I want to tighten up my steering fro around the dock if I do this my turns hard over will be reduced from 7 to 3.5 according to Teleflex. I talked with Teleflex tech support today and they said I could do it but the steering might be a bit stiff. I see it this way anything is better than having to turn 7 times around hard over when backing down into my slip. There are 2 other boats at the dock that have 4S 225 hp with this setup. Boats are 30' Wellcraft and Seaswirl ( same boat. )

BTW my engines are 99' 250 ox66 2S

Thanks, Russ

Boats Rock

Reaction score
If it does create a stiff steering situation. Will a larger diameter steering wheel fit? Still will have the 3.5 ratio but a little more mechanical advantage.

jehines3

Reaction score
I'm using twin rams and it is very smooth and effortless. The tie bar may work well for you its not a hard mod and easily undone, but you may want to save it for gas money since what you have works.

tiderunner

Reaction score
I do agree that with the twin rams it is smooth . I already have a ty-bar installed so it really is not much $ to try it out . I was wondering if any one was running this type of set up .

Thanks,

Russ