Marlin Thruster advice

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently purchaced a new to me 2003 Marlin.

Am am seriously considering adding a thruster this spring. I am going to be running the boat short handed often and think this will help me manage to get into a tight slip with less stress.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on this site. I have heard good things about Florida Bow thrusters.

In speaking with them, they have suggested a Vetus 55 unit. Has anyone had expirince with this unit? I have been quoted a price of 7,160 installed at my house in Marshfield, MA. I have been told that they complete all of the installations and would have a crew travel up from fla or sc to do the work. This unit does not require a separate battery, does this sound appropriate?

I understand that the factory is using imtra units.

I appreciate and help and advice!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i think the factory is using sidepower and lewmar (mine is sidepower). vetus is obviously top notch. i would make sure you have an ignition protected thruster. the price sounds pretty good, but only from what i have read in the past. it would probably be a good idea to check with gw to see if that model is a comparable size to the ones they are using for the marlin. good luck, ron

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A friend of mine had Florida Bow Thrusters install one in his 1995 Islander.
They came right to the marina before he launched in the spring and did a really nice job. Only thing I'd suggest is don't go for the smallest one they have. The one Grady installs works very well... I have one on my Marlin and the size Grady installed seems to fit the bill... I wouldn't want it smaller. Call Grady... they will provide you with the specds on their Marlin bow thruster. They may even recommend an installer in your area that they are more comfortable with... but I can tell you the one my friend had put in looked like a factory job.

You'll love a thruster... sure helps take the edge off docking in close quarters when the wind is blowing. Good luck.

capeguy

Reaction score
Hey Mike,
I assume you run out of Green Harbor? I run a 180 out of the N River and am beginning to look at the Marlin for the next step. I also will be solo quite often, love to hear how you like it as you get some experience with her.

Good luck with the thruster.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been doing some further research on products and installers.
I am looking into a lewmar unit. Has anyone had any expirince with them?
In reading the comparisons on thier web site, they seem to perform better than the side power and Vetus in thrust and efficiency.

I have a quote from New England Bow Thruster for a 4 kw unit that produces 145 lbs of thrust, includes a wireless controller in addtion to the dash mounted, battery, islolater and chrarging wiring, for 8000. complete. Seems like a pretty decent deal as compared to the vetus quote.

The factory is using a imtra / side power unit that produces 132 lbs. I am working on trakcing down an installer who can give me a quote and addtional info on the imtra.

The quote that I have for the Vetus unit assumes that it will not have a separate battery and will connect directly to the boats power. This seems wrong to me to have that kind of draw off the main system. i would think my electronics would not be happy to see a draw of that kind.

I appreciate any further thoughts. Capeguy, I am out of Green Harbor, would be happy to show you the boat and how this all works out. I am looking forward to getting in the water to try it out myself since I just took delivery of the boat this past december.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i think the lewmar is being used on the 360/366. if you get good reports on the installer, it is probably better to have a local guy you can run back to than one that would have to come up from the south. ron

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You may want to consider a jet powered thruster. There was a recent boating magazine article on changes they wanted to see in the boating indistry and reference was made to jet powered thrusters as being more efficent and quieter. Just .02 worth.

kingfisher 77

Reaction score
Mike,

Have you run the boat yet ? I bought the same boat last Winter and had similiar reservations about running the boat without a thruster.I keep the boat in the Back River in Hingham slipped almost broadside to the Southwest wind,plus current.I can control the bow with the engines enough to handle those conditions and dock it good enough to handle her by myself.
Obviously,the 04 with the wider motor shaft centers will handle better than ours,but the 03 it still not bad.I'm glad I saved my money for other things.
Best of luck with the Marlin !

Chris

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments.

After much deliberation, I have decided to go forward with the thruster. I made a deal with New England Bow Thruster on a lewmar 4.0 kw set up. I will likely go with an upgrade that will give me wireless control of my factory windlass as well.

Installation should be sometime in march, I will give an update on the progress later this spring.

Mike

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Mike:

Good luck with the installation - please post pictures. Let us know how the installation goes (I'm considering the same and was impressed about what I learned about New England Bow Thrusters).

Only 6 more weeks of winter.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thruster update

2 weeks ago, my thruster was installed. timing worked out well for the guys, it was durring the few days of 60 degree weather.

installation went very smothly, the guys from New England bow thruster were great. The boat is on stands at my house so i was able to see most of the installation. They had no problem answering all of my questions.

Took 2 full days, first day with the guys working until almost 10pm. They came well prepared with a trailer workshop and certainly knew what they were doing. They work was neat and they cleaned up all of the mess.

I have posted a few pictures, sadly i missed a shot of the hole in the hull prior to the tube being inserted.

It will be another month or so until I am able to update on how it works...

Let me know if any questions.

Never posted pictures before, I hope this works...

http://picasaweb.google.com/10161282457 ... directlink

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
should have noted

That the boat was never bottom painted. New bottom paint system will be done in the next couple of weeks once some better weather arrives..

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've always wondered how much additional drag a thruster adds to the hull during normal operation. This one looks like it might be far enough forward to actually be out of the water at cruising speeds. Anyone ever seen any numbers? After seeing one being used in high winds, I'm sure it's worth whatever the price.

Gary 89 Overnighter

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only from what I am told and not from actual use....

The idea spot is as far forward as possible, better leverage as the boat will want to pivot on the outboard.

I have not measured, but I would estimate that it's only about 10 inches below the water line, so it will be well out of the water when underway.

They did flare out the hull to interup the waterflow for when it is sumbmeresed. The factory installed versions can not do this due to the way the hull comes out of the mold.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thruster update

Just an update, boat has been in the water now for a few weeks and I am very happy with my decision to install the thruster.

I am able to get the boat into the slip with no help, which was one of my biggest concerns!

No cheap, but for me it was well worth it. I know i will use the boat more with it since I am often with my kids or folks with not much experince to help out.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mike... I'm in the exact same situation as you.... one tough slip to get into... my bow thruster is worth every penny. Good luck with yours.