Marlin vs Gulfstream in Heavier Seas

Ventura4949

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I am thinking of downsizing from a '97 Marlin to a newer (2010+) Gulfstream. Can anyone who has experience with both offer an opinion of how the Gulfstream rides compared to Marlin, especially in heavier seas?

jerseytiger10

Reaction score
Website
www.townmotors.com
Model
Express 360
Always hard to compare a smaller ride. I went from a 265 express to a 23 center console only to go back up to a 30 marlin. It’s a pretty solid adjustment going down in size as rosè is concerned. I hope this helps.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I can tell you exactly.

I had a Gulfstream for 10 years and moved up to my current Marlin.

The ride is predictably smoother in a Marlin due to the extra length, beam & weight, although it is not a "night and day" difference. The Gulfstream's beam-to-length ratio, (Beam: 9' 3"- Length 23') makes it a remarkably stable 23 footer, especially in beam seas adrift. It is a really big 23 foot boat and rides like one.

The biggest difference between the two is the Marlin's advantage in a head or quartering sea, and stability in a following sea underway. This is due to the size & weight of the Marlin, as I mentioned earlier.

They both will pound in quartering wind driven seas 2 feet and over and if it's a blustery day, you'll take spray with both of them. The Marlin will ride a bit softer and be a bit drier. Knowing how to properly trim & tab the boats make a huge difference.

If you downsize to a Gulfstream, you'll miss the Marlin's "big-boat ride." The stability, the "safe" feeling you get with a 30 Ft Grady.

What you'll gain is a really rockin' 23 foot Grady that doesn't ride as well, but can still be classified as a good riding boat under most reasonable conditions. It can go 10 rounds with most any other 23 footer and win. Plus, you'll get better fuel numbers, an easier boat to horse around a dock if it has twins, and all the other attributes associated with downsizing.

If I wanted a smaller boat than my Marlin, I'd seriously consider going back to a Gulfstream. One thing I would avoid is a Gulfstream without twins, especially if your used to a Marlin. A single engine Gulfstream is hard to dock in wind and/or current, it doesn't have the "lift" that twin props give and unless you have a 300 or 350, they're underpowered.

Got long-winded, as I usually do. Good Vibes sent your way and I hope it works out!

bea5454

Reaction score
Definitely depends on your definition of "heavier seas", but having (similarly to magicalbill) owned a Gulfstream for 10 years and now 3 years with a 305, would substantially echo mb's remarks. That said, while definitely a stable 23 (arguably the best), the difference between the GS and 30' is night and day in a short chop, following sea and head sea of 2-4 +'.

Agree with the perspective re twins on GS. I somewhat routinely ran the 23' 50 - 80 miles with a single F250. Great experience that I would not give up, but the safety, comfort and speed of the 305 on long runs or heavier seas is an entirely different experience.

Best of luck with your decision.

Reactions: magicalbill

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I went from a Seafarer to a Gulfstream to a Sailfish. The ride from a Seafarer to Gulfstream was a dramatic improvement. The Gulfstream can handle just about anything most that would choose to venture out in. When I went to the Sailfish the ride and overall handling with twins was better but not as dramatic as Seafarer to Gulfstream. I have heard that the ride from Sailfish to Marlin is more of a bigger boat feeling due to 2 feet and weight so I would assume a 23 to a 30 would be pretty noticeable. Good luck, good new is that either decision you still have a pretty nice boat!

Reactions: magicalbill