marlin vs. sailfish

marbletucky

Reaction score
Hi, new to the site. I'm in the market for a 28' walk-around. Upgrading from an older, lower end type of boat and am looking for a used Grady, Pursuit, Whaler or something on those lines. Marlin and Sailfish by Grady both look to be nice boats but what's the difference or main differences in them? Is it hull design, cabin or what? I've seen mentioned that the Marlin is heavier? Any info is appreciated.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are several here, including myself, who have owned both models. They are very similar in design but the Marlin is essentially a larger version. It is really much more boat if you can afford the difference. I found the Sailfish helm a tad cramped but otherwise a fine boat. The Marlin also has a genset option.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
I a on my second Sailfish. First was a 252, and now a 282. I debated whether I should move up to a Marlin, or stay with the Sailfish, and ended up very happily with the 282.

The questions you need to ask are:

Is the boat going to be moored full time, or do you plan on trailering the boat?
What emphasis is going to be on the cuddy size?
Is slightly different fuel consumption a factor?
How rough of water do you plan on consistently taking on?

Though the 300 is just 2 feet longer, in every aspect it is a significantly bigger boat. There is more room at every facet, from the cuddy, the mid berth, the helm area, and just a tad more in the cockpit. The Marlin rides better, and handles rougher water better.

For me, the Sailfish is the better all around boat as I choose to trailer it, and store it in a pole barn during the winter months. It tows very easy, and without a 2nd thought I can pull it out from her slip and move to another port to fish for a week if I want. I run charter tuna trips on my boat, and it fishes myself and 4 customers very well. Fuel economy for 150 mile round trip days is significantly better than my buddies that have Marlins. As far as rough water goes, the Sailfish is just slightly more crisp in chop than the Marlin.in 2-3 foot chop on top of a 5' swell, I can maintain basically the same speed as my pals with a Marlin. They push through a little more where I will bounce, but it is not too bad. I've spent many days on both, and the Marlin would be the boat I would get if I didn't have the trailering, fuel, and storage concerns.

Reactions: GIBBY

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Although I have always wanted a Marlin, for all the reason given above, like Halenalu, I am on my 2nd Sailfish too. Had a '93 sailfish 252G for 12 years, then bought a pre-owned '02, 282. I also haul and launch mine with a tri-axle trailer, and store it in a heated pole barn. But, as said, the Marlin is just the right amount bigger, in every important area, and is a more comfortable boat all around.

Good problem to have. Good luck in whatever one you choose.

Reactions: GIBBY

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well marble you didn't say what your budget is and we love spending your money! I'm familiar with a '99 Marlin and it's sweel. The owner will be the first to admit that's it's a gas hog with the 250 OX66's. I'm sure the newer models with the 4-strokes are much more efficient. Looking at a $50K boat vs a $80K+ boat.

marbletucky

Reaction score
Budget is 100k or less.

This would be a Great Lakes boat and from the sounds of it, Sailfish may be the one I'm looking for. On a trailer and in storage from November to about April normally. A Marlin may be a little larger than I'm looking for right now. Just researching models so I can narrow my search a bit. Freshwater Grady's are not as readily available as saltwater boats. Willing to look at a clean saltwater boat but those tend to be taboo up here. Whether that's justified or not I don't know. Many guys won't even look at them.

Thanks for all the feedback.

capeguy

Reaction score
For $100K you could likely get into a 2005 or 2006 Sailfish, fully equipped. The Marlin is significantly more $$. I just bought a 2006 Sailfish after thinking the Marlin was right for me for years. The Sailfish is a great boat and not too big as I think the Marlin is for me.

HaleNalu asks the right questions. How will you use it?
Enjoy the process!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You can easily get into a well equipped sailfish or Marlin. It is all about choice - who will be on the boat, where are you fishing etc???. You could also purchase an older 2 stroke one and repower if need be ... but check with Grady first since the 4 strokes are heavier and exceeding weight limits may void the hull warranty. I've primarily fished my 2000 sailfish (twin OX66 225's) offshore and the boat has never let me down. Range is great and can easily reach 60+ mile canyons (Wilmington to Washington), troll all day and have fuel left when back at the dock. I’ve also been caught in some very big seas/storms and never took a wave over the stern. Grady’s are a solid boat and, if taken care of, will outlive most of us.

ttles714

Reaction score
I was where you are about 2 years ago. My almost brother in law had a beautiful 282 Sailfish. I looked at a few that were for sale. I thought "everything" was a little tight... Helm, Cabin, even the aft deck. Then I looked at a Pursuit 3070. Nice quality, poor design of space.. Seemed like more space in the Sailfish, but probably not... Couldn't really find what liked. The Pursuit was a real disappointment... By accident I looked at a Marlin. EVERYTHING I wanted...Should have looked here first !!! I bought a 2001 with same year 250 hp Yamaha OX66's. Great boat Great motors. A lot of talk about them being fuel hogs... All I can say is that at 25-28 MPH I burn 1.1-1.3 MPG. Load doesn't seem to matter much. Not sure what the guys with 4 strokes are getting. The Marlin is a lot more boat than the Sailfish. If you trailer that may be a concern. Although If you "gear up" for heavy trailering there may not be much of a difference. The guy I purchased the boat from kept it on a Continental 3 axle trailer and ran around Florida with it. I had it brought up to New Jersey by a hauler on the same trailer. He had an F350 dually diesel. I don't know that if I were trailering a Sailfish that I would want to use much less than this. Although for both I think a 1 ton single rear wheel would suffice. Especially since the Guy I purchased from used an older 3/4 ton suburban. Good Luck