marlin300 generator question

grady300

Reaction score
can you run the generator while the boat is running, i was told no by the previous owner as it would backflush the generator, anyone have any experience or know if this is true?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i think that if you read the manual (and the gentset control panel on mine) you will see that the issue is running the boat at planning speeds with the genset seacock open, but the gen OFF. that could force water into the head. ron

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Elysemn is right on the mark. Generator ok to run while under way. Generator off but seacock open. Not so much.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The generator should not be used when an outboard engine speed is greater than 2500 RPMs. When the generator is not in use the intake should be closed. At higher speeds excessive seawater may be forced into the generator cooling system causing water to back up into the exhaust manifold.

The 2001 & 2002 owner's manuals have that verbiage. The 2003 & 2004 do not and make no reference to speed but does, as expected, mention that the seacock should be closed when not in use. Not sure what, if anything, actually changed on the design.

YMMV

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW folks have told me that the new FB diesel gennys may be used at planning speed. The key is that they should be in operation or the seacock should be closed. They have since gone to a closed cooling system so the point is moot.

I know several 330 owners who start there gensets at the dock and shutdown when the return. The late Kay Crocker ran his 330 this way from what I have been told. The chill plate option is very popular and requires A/C power. I hear many great things about these refrigerated boxes.

LastChance

Reaction score
Re:

megabytes said:
GW folks have told me that the new FB diesel gennys may be used at planning speed. The key is that they should be in operation or the seacock should be closed. They have since gone to a closed cooling system so the point is moot.

I know several 330 owners who start there gensets at the dock and shutdown when the return. The late Kay Crocker ran his 330 this way from what I have been told. The chill plate option is very popular and requires A/C power. I hear many great things about these refrigerated boxes.

Do you know what year the new FB diesel gennys you refer to started being installed, or is there another way of identifying the newer units?

Thanks for your help

LastChance

Reaction score
Re: Re:

LastChance said:
megabytes said:

Do you know what year the new FB diesel gennys you refer to started being installed, or is there another way of identifying the newer units?

Thanks for your help

Actually I think I answered my own question. If the unit is fresh water cooled and has a heat exchanger, then there should be no danger of water being ingested at planing speeds.

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Marlin 300 which is water cooled. The way to tell is check to see if you have a coolant reservoir in the battery locker. I think the change came around 2005. You will still need to pull the seacock open to cool the exhaust manifold (I believe) . The generator has an internal water cooling system and partially external via the seacock. They cool two different parts. I was told that the generator should be running when the seacock is open to avoid water backing up. If the generator is off close the seacock when running. My FP tech reaffirmed this with me.

I run all the time with the generator on at cruising speeds no issue.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Marlin 300. I made the mistake of running with the seacock open and generator off. Water was forced into the manifold and into the cylinder. I could not crank the generator! Wonder why? I changed the oil and it was half water. I filled and drained the oil reservoir 4 more times and it finally cranked. I am very aware to close the seacock now. Very poor Grady design just like the pumpout inside the holding tank... but that is another issue.