Maserator Pump

dale1

Reaction score
Greetings. A 6 year old stopped up the toilet to point where I had to take it appart to fix it:(
Should there be something else on the bottom of the maserator pump? It runs and pumps out, but ive not used it for number 2 yet.

thanks
Dale

Attachments

• IMG_5586.JPG
    IMG_5586.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,697

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yep. You are missing a blade that slices up the (you know what). Check out this diagram -- http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec1/pdfs/155.pdf. I ended up replacing the pump on my 2000 sailfish after 8-9 years of screwing around with it. Pump would lock up or freeze and you could take it apart and fix but it wouldn't last. Hope this helps. Groco is in MD and I've been by their facilities and you could probably order parts directly from them.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Grady 33 is correct you're missing the cutter blade. It's in the tank..... . I just got thru working on mine over the wknd. It's working now. The threads for the bolt that holds the blade on the shaft is 1/4x28 (fine thread) it'll be 1/2" in length. Stainless steel naturally with a lock washer.
Mine locked up from lack of use. I plan on running it everytime I get on the boat from now on.Just to keep it from locking up again.

I did read a thread about some one who says to put Calgone liquid dish soap in your toilet to help keep the pump lubed up. And to use "publix" green colored toilet tissue as it breaks down very fine. No publix stores around here but gonna search out someone to mail me a four pack hopefully.

dale1

Reaction score
thanks for the reply's. no more wet wipes on the boat. period, end of discussion :bang :)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I always tell guests: "If it didn't go in you first, it doesn't go in the toilet". With the obvious exception of the quick dissolving toilet paper (which I tell them to use sparingly). I'd rather them flush twice, even though it's using up the fresh water, then deal with a clog. There are other brands of this TP, too. Any marina or RV store should carry it.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Best lube is Vegetable Oil. Seriously. It is what WM sells for more than $10 per bottle.

Consider replacing the in the tank pump with external pump. I just did the conversion. You can find the posts on this site about how to do it. That is in case you have problems with the pump down the road and don't want to spend $600 to replace it. I think I did the conversion for just under $250 and now the pump change out will be quick and simple if this one ever fails.

fishbust

Reaction score
X2 what Robert said.
These things seem to be very problematic, especially with saltwater.
I can see why boat manufacturers use them, easy drop in unit complete in tank but for what the replacement cost is, when my turn comes for issues with it, not going to take it out. Will just abandon it in place and convert to an external macerator pump and diverter valve.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here is the link to the other post with lots of good detail and pics to explain it in case you reconsider.
I did remove my pump from within the tank. Why? Well, it was driving me crazy to see it and what it was as well as get space if it was easy enough to remove. I did take it out and plug up the holes and gained a little space in an already small holding tank. Mine was very clean, so was not an unpleasant experience.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13306