Matching paint color for Grady Whites

jdsmith

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get marine paint to match my GW or what colors and mfg. name and appropriate mix?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you asking about bottom paint? Interlux micron in dark blue (Y5696) is an exact match for the bottom and an excellent paint. You will need a hard bottom paint below or a primer bottomcote, these two types of paint give the bottom a hard coat that will seal water out as long as it is not broken down or chipped off, without this layer over years the hull may absorb water, weight and lose its strength. Boat US has a dark blue that matches well but it did not fair well on my older boat and had a bit of growth.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are speaking about matching the gel coat. GW dealers have a patch about 2oz of gel coat to fix scratches, gouges or holes in gel coat. If you need more the company spectrum color who supplies this patch has larger quantaties that match GW color and can be ordered through the web. Paint to match you Yamaha engines can also be found by most Yamaha dealers or Color Rite on the web who supplies the paint and clear coats.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Grady color

Hello!
The paint that matches Grady's older hulls is the Pettit Easypoxy 3108 Off-White.
bracket08.bmp.jpg
[/img]

greyg8r

Reaction score
My 1989 Sailfish has faded to the point that all the exposed gelcoat is pure white. Gelcoat that is protected from the sun is slightly off white.

lfishman

Reaction score
Model
Kingfisher
I tried 3108 but it is not even close.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I tried 3108 but it is not even close.
As noted above, because of the oxidation, there is no all-in-one answer here. The older a boat gets, the more options there are. You'll just need to do trial and error. I assume you'll be compounding the hull, first, to expose good gel as it wouldn't make sense to paint over an oxidized surface since the paint job likely woulnd't last long.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I redid the gelcoat on the anchor locker hatch this year with the year specific Spectrum GW gel coat. It wasn't even close. Original hull has a little "brown" in the mix for the off-white. Over the years the boat is much more white.

I have more refinishing project to do this year. Undecided if its going to be gel coat or two part marine polyurethane paint. Either way its gong to have to be custom tinted.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agree. I've had some work done on mine and they have had to custom match as close as possible, and it's still off just a little.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yup. Carshow cars fall in that category also. 10 footer, 20 footer.

I'm a 2004,,, it's not a showboat by any means,,, the match is acceptable for me. She still looks good and most people won't see it unless I point it out.

Bill Kelly

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I used a blend from Awlgrip called 2001 Grady (custom blend) for my 2004 Tournament. It was for the bracket so getting a close match was all I needed.

bixie

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Grady color

Hello!
The paint that matches Grady's older hulls is the Pettit Easypoxy 3108 Off-White.
bracket08.bmp.jpg
[/img]
Is it better to use a gel coat than the Easypoxy? It seems the gel coat is better over all but I am new at this. Hoping to pain the deck this fall. Thank you in advance!

seasick

Reaction score
Is it better to use a gel coat than the Easypoxy? It seems the gel coat is better over all but I am new at this. Hoping to pain the deck this fall. Thank you in advance!
If you want to do a small patch, I would go with the Spectrum Color paste. It is somewhat expensive for a pretty small bottle. Again, note that if your hull is faded, the paste probably won't match. Before patching and color matching, compound and polish the area where the fix needs to be to get the existing gel coat to it's actual color. ( don't forget to clean off any wax or polish before the actual repair)
If you are more concerned about filling a crack and not the color match, MarineTex will work fine. Check the videos online. There are tinting agents available for MarineTex that allows yoo to make the white paste a bit more off white but I never see the tints in the stores.
Ig the fix is just plain gelcoat, there are gelcoat kits available that have tints. They are usually available in places like West Marine.
If your color matching eyesight is good, you can get pretty close. White gel coat with a very very small dab of brown tint can match Grady color fairly well. My eyes are not up to the task.

bixie

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If you want to do a small patch, I would go with the Spectrum Color paste. It is somewhat expensive for a pretty small bottle. Again, note that if your hull is faded, the paste probably won't match. Before patching and color matching, compound and polish the area where the fix needs to be to get the existing gel coat to it's actual color. ( don't forget to clean off any wax or polish before the actual repair)
If you are more concerned about filling a crack and not the color match, MarineTex will work fine. Check the videos online. There are tinting agents available for MarineTex that allows yoo to make the white paste a bit more off white but I never see the tints in the stores.
Ig the fix is just plain gelcoat, there are gelcoat kits available that have tints. They are usually available in places like West Marine.
If your color matching eyesight is good, you can get pretty close. White gel coat with a very very small dab of brown tint can match Grady color fairly well. My eyes are not up to the task.
Awesome thank you!!