Max HP on 20ft Overnighter?

azfireguy79

Reaction score
I just installed a 200HP yamaha on my 1989 overnighter and was curious what is the rated max HP for this boat? Thanks :D

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check your spec plate. Probably around 230. 200 should not be an issue if transom is solid.

azfireguy79

Reaction score
catch22 said:
According to their 89 catalog, (pg 19) the max hp is 230;

http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/cata ... s/1989.pdf

Thanks! I was just curious more than anything since I have heard people say different things. It use to have a yami 175 ( the same one in the catalog pic!lol) and i was told the 200 would be great but that I could get away with a max of 250HP. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it! Happy fathers day everyone.

alwood0422

Reaction score
Just a Quick note, I have a 206 Overnighter 1987 with a 200 HP Johnson. 45 MPH is fairly easy to hit with 4 people on board. The boat is rated for 230 HP max. Good luck, you'll have to tell me what issues your boat has to overcome so we can compare notes.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
I just re-powered my Overnighter with a 2000 225 OX-66 this past winter. The boat had the orginial '91 175 Yama and it was time to move to fuel injection. I did go with a little larger prop (Merc Mirage) and really like it for docking. At first I was a bit concerned about the added weight of the OX-66. But so far no problems there.

During sea trial she topped out at 59 kts at WOT :shock: . I doubt I'll ever run that fast unless I'm bootlegging something and don't want to get caught :D . I've had the boat out 3 times since the sea trial and really love the added power and comfort of a newer engine and not having to worry with carbs. So far I've only seen a slight increase in gas/oil consumption. To me that is a trade off I was willing to accept. One thing is that you will need trim tabs to keep the bow down.

I say go-for-it. I picked up my engine for 4K. Sold the 175 for $1800. I did the mounting and with a friend rigged the engine. You will need a retro kit that Bob put me on to make everything work togather.

Bottomline is I'd do it again.

Len

azfireguy79

Reaction score
We put the 200HP Yamaha V-MAX on this 1989 Overnighter a couple months ago but had to wait for the adapters and some other retro stuff to get it running again. It use to have the 175 yami which was a great motor from 89 until a misfortunate occurance down in mexico in 2007. We finally took her out on the lake last week and today. Man this new fuel injected motor gets up and moves! :D Consumtion is up a bit but top speed is as well so Im happy. Im in the process of purchasing a Stainless Mercury Mirage Plus prop, all new guages( just got the new yami tach). I already have hydraulic trim tabs on the boat. My RPM is running about 5500 at WOT with gear and three people so Im pretty sure the 17 pitch which is on there currently will be the one i stick with. I noticed my oil consumtion is about the same. I use Amsoil HP Injector and really like it in my yamahas. No smoke and consumtion is good. And no Im not a dealer! :lol: Thanks for all of the ideas and advice guys.

Reactions: DVF2001

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
GWcpa said:
Is that 59 knots or Kilometers/hr? Maybe 39 knots? 67 mph not too likely with that setup.

Nope...59 knots.

The guy who helped me rigg the boat owns his own shop and been around boats all his life. He was running the boat while I was checking things out back at the engine and in the hole. He firewalled the throttle and holy crap did she get -up and go. Once she leveled out I heard him say "Holy sh**, come up here and look at this" the speed O was showing 59 on the read out. Tack was just a little over 5800 RPM. She was runnig light, livewell was out, 1/4 tank of gas, just the 2 of us. We did turn the GPS on and it was showing about the same.

I guess it could be possible the speed O was off. I will say that it was in the "Haul A$$" mode and like I said I don't think I'll ever need that kind of speed and I'm sure that with a full tank of gas, fishing gear, and an extra body she would not do that kind of speed.

aazfireguy79...the prop you mention is the one I have....I think it is a 19 pitch though. Got a nice deal on it cause it was a demo prop. I'll check and see.

HD

gw204

Reaction score
Where did you get that speed reading from? GPS, paddlewheel or water pressure?

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no possible way an Overnighter will run 67 mph with a 225.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Where did you get that speed reading from? GPS, paddlewheel or water pressure?

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no possible way an Overnighter will run 67 mph with a 225.

gw204, I hope that I am wrong and I agree with you in that there is no way a boat like the Overnighter will run that fast. But I did see the numbers. Be willing to swear on the bible over that one. Heck, I'd hate to have to get a set of pilot’s license to drive this thing:lol: .

As I recall, the GPS was reading more like 52 knots and that could have been off too since it is an old Lowrance model. I'm not sure where the speed reading is derived from on the gauge. Since I now have a new Garmin on-board, next time I take her out I'll check it again and if I am wrong I'll sure let you guys know. I don't want to be a fabricator of stories.....well may be fishing stories:D .

HD

timo14

Reaction score
With fairly light load, just me in the boat, 1/3 tank of fuel, raggedy paint job on the bottom, 14-3/4x17 Viper prop, water conditions like glass, no wind, slack tide, and air temp in the mid 40's... I made it up to 48 mph on the GPS. Paddle wheel doesnt read for me over around 35 for some reason. Typical load of way too much crap in the boat, full tank of fuel, wife & kid puts me around 44 or so. 67 would be fun, but unless you've got TWIN 225's...

alwood0422

Reaction score
I was out over the weekend in the 1000 Islands and Ran it with 7 People on board and 3/4 tank of gas. It read 43MPH on the paddle wheel speedo. I was impressed with that speed and load.

azfireguy79

Reaction score
WOW thats quite impressive. What prop are you running? I just bought a Mercury Mirage Plus 17P to replace my Yamaha factory steel prop. It will be interesting to see how much if any I gain from this new prop.Its the same pitch as the old one but about 2 inches in diameter more. It ran 43MPH last week with 3/4 full tank and three people plus some gear ( mostly beer!ha) I will let you know what i get with the new prop later this week.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A modified 225 V6 rev-unlimited running racing fuel @ 7000 rpm?

Would that do it?