Maybe this boat should not last this long

Remie

Reaction score
As I was getting ready to install a new pulpit I found a lot of rusty steel by the rope anchor compartment well Grady white was not expecting this boat to last this long or they do shitty job like some of the others, I have to bend a 3/4" wrench to removed it , I going to make a new one out of 316 SS

Fishtales

Reaction score
yep... they just about all do some things poorly...

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
looks like part of a bow lifting ring? in the anchor locker for 30 years, could have started as stainless (it will rust), or not. good thing you found it the easy way :mrgreen:

ron

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
for s & g, i took a look at the '85 brochure. bow pulpits weren't listed as an option for any model and the bow lifting ring option was only listed for the smaller ones. not swearing on its accuracy (and fyi, i could give a list of bs build items on my '09, so not defending either). ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
30 year old boat. I'd expect things like that.

Remie

Reaction score
I don't think so if it was made of the right metal

wlewis

Reaction score
I had an 1984 204 that I purchased new and sold 13 years later when the transom rotted. I recall that same steel bow eye bracket rusting at some point during my ownership, perhaps when it was only 5-6 years old. It definitely wasn't stainless.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If I recall this is a metal piece that the end of the rode is tied to so you don't let all your anchor line out.
What it is made out of, I am not sure. Guessing by the U bolts and the other long bolt (assuming these are 316 SS). I'm going to guess that the part was plain steel.
If steel, I agree it isn't the best material selection for the application. It is in an area that will have a lot of salt water from the anchor rode, it will get banged up by the rode and chain so a coated material would be easily scratched and given that it also ties to the U bolt that goes through the hull, one would think 316SS would be used. SS can rust/fail as well, especially if in water for long periods of time or used below the waterline. Some info on SS I found if interested below. I guess you could check with GW Cust Service. Prob going to have to replace anyway and since it is a 30 year old hull, steel might be ok.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/StainlessInfo2/

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/knowledge/

Remie

Reaction score
This made out of steel, i do have access to 316 SS and titanium so will no be a problem to make a new one but I think Grady white should have used a better metal than steel

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Looks like it was more trouble than it's worth to replace it.
It's not a cosmetic issue, who will ever see it?
And its not a safety issue at all if you just add a couple of wire ties to the rode a few feet above that rusted end...they will remind you to CLEAT OFF the anchor at that point because you reached the end of your usable rode length and cannot trust the rusted bracket below to hold your boat.

wlewis

Reaction score
It's not a safety issue only if you use a couple of strong washers or backing plate behind your bow eye and if you don't have or use a lifting ring.

Remie

Reaction score
To me is a safety as this piece hold the anchor rope . Boating companies never has installed something that no body see in you boat for the pleasure of having it ? Its done

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Remie said:
To me is a safety issue since when boating companies had installed something in you boat for the pleasure of having it ? Its done

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Maybe you forgot some words or punctuation?

But... Those are nice welds. Did you do them?

Remie

Reaction score
Dennis Sorry about that. The welding was done by my body, he own diving specialty equipment co.