Merc Rev4's vs SWS 3's

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Came on the site today to inquire about if anyone had went to 4 blade props on a 282 Sailfish with 200 HPDI's What brought this on was I found a "Hairline" crack on my CR prop starting at the leading edge and moving towards the hub . It was about .500 long and was not "open". I could not see light thru it. I took it to work ,looked at it under a microscope , took a small diamond tipped burr and v'ed it in, then Tig welded it under a microscope with a .015 stainless wire. I then worked it down with my dremel and a diamond / rubber polisher then scotchbrite. You cannot even tell where it was cracked. I may magna-flux it , haven't decided yet.
I spoke with Ken @ Propgods today about switching from Yamaha SWS 15 1/4 x 17's to Merc Rev 4's at 14 5/8 x 17's. I have a fair amount of "slip" at cruise speed about 28% according to the #'s I provided him. I seen on his website a comparison of a 282 with F225's with stock SWS 15 1/4 x 17's against Powertech OFS4's . The OFS4's really kicked butt in the low and mid range area up to about 4500 RPM's.
I am interested in the Merc Rev 4's because they are supposed to be really consistant from prop to prop, whereas the powertech are good props but tend to have some consistancy isuues . Also the powertechs are more of a "Stern lifter" where as the Rev4's are more of a whole boat lifter. I have no issues with needing the stern lifted . My boat is always very easy to plane ,It seems to be on plane at any speed( I know that sounds wierd ).My 24 Offshore would fall off plane at anything below 16 or 17 knots.
My #'s are cruise speed @ 3900-4000 rpm's is 26-26.5 knots burning 19.0 gph. Speed is off Furuno Navnet
WOT #'s are 5500 rpm's @ 37-38 knots with clean bottom paint and full fuel and water 220 gallons and 38 gallons. My slip rate was around 8% at WOT , not bad but I don't really care about running that way for more than a minute or so at the and of the day.

Has anyone made the change on a 282 and if so what if any difference did you experience. Thanks Karl

ps: didn't want to derail the other 4 blade prop thread with my pers. stuff.....

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I tried both 17m yamaha props & mer rev 4's 17". i found that my mid range speed did decrease a little & fuel economy across the board dropped a bit with the 4 blade mercs. I attributed that to the slighty smaller diameter of the mercs. The bite in the ocean was definately better with the 4 blades. I am sticking with the 3 blade yammies for now due to the better speed & economy but i plan to raise the motors a bit to see if this increases performance since the planing fins are well below the waterline.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Thanks alot That is exactly the type of info I need. Hate to drop a wad on props only to find out I should have "stood pat".

What are your #'s as far as speed and fuel burn if you dont mind me asking. I cruise at 26-26.5 knots at 4000 rpms burning 19.0gph and top out at 37-38 knots wot burning...... alot, lol

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I cant quote exact numbers now but my fuel economy went from 1.5 - 1.6 statute mpg's 3 blade to 1.3 - 1.4 statute mpg's with the rev4's. Overall top rpm stayed with both props around 6k. Where are you located?