mercury optimax 2007, 150hp ( feed back please)

Sal

Reaction score
hi, i would very much like some feed back on this engine. also fuel efficiency. i'am looking at a pair of these for my 268s inlander. thank you, sal

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The newer Optimax's are a decent engine, they are pretty good on fuel and comparable to an HPDI. I personally feel they are a slight bit louder from experiences being in them, but they are good engines. The older Merc Optimax's were plagued with problems and had a not so great rep, but the newer gen which your potential year falls into was after the issues were resolved. Only down side to the Optimax is the outrageous price of their spark plugs, Merc couldn't use a plug that had a normal shape and had to flange them different to make their low pressure injection work how they wanted, partially part of the earlier issues, they wanted to be different and complicated and try something new. For an islander, twin 150's is a great hp size, 175's wouldn;t be bad either, anything more is overkill. fuel efficiency should be comparable to four strokes, maybe a a hair better depending on what brand and model your comparing to, but they burn oil sso the end cost is similar or more then a four stroke. I am not a Merc fan persoanlly, but the newer gen Opti's are not bad engines and I did consider them when we made out last purchase when we looked at Whaler's, it would have not been a deal breaker, but was not my first choice from persoanl experience with other merc products in the past.

Sal

Reaction score
mercury optimax 2007,150hp

hi gradyfish 22, thank you for your very informative responce. let me also say what an awesome forum this is. thanks again, sal

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
HPDI use more fuel WOT but less for cruiseing vs the Opti's
they did a write up in powerboat reports some years ago
it was only like .2 difference though

bulldog2

Reaction score
Sal that is a great engine its extremely powerfull and fuel efficient.I have been running a 2000 225 on my Gulfstream and I chose this motor because the numbers for performance and efficiency were better across the board than the 250 OX66 Yam.In those days injectors and carbon were the issues that dogged them,Hobby Lobby Marine always told me to run Quickleen with every new tank of gas and I have never had a issue with this motor.Unless something has changed sparkplugs for my motor are 6 bucks each which are NGK Platnum,Iridium plugs are available at 3x the cost but I never run them I get 2 years out of my cheap plugs.-Pat L