MFD's

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So what are you going to do with the 943xsv?
Sell it off when the dust settles.

My advice to any member upgrading electronic is to go slow. Understand all the options, Lay them out and discuss. Pick what you want to upgrade and go for it. Next year tweak it gain.

I don't have an autopilot and no plan to add one. Doesn't fit my use case.

Reactions: Saltyone

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I got my screens powered up this morning. Here are the captured screen shots for the 943 and the 8610. I don't have my 4210 unit anymore but I'll give you screen resolution and you can imagine the difference.

4210 800 x 600 = 480,000 pixels.
943 1,280 x 720 = 921,000 pixels. This unit has 92% more pixels than the 4210.
8610 1,920 x 1,200 = 2,304,000. This unit has 150% more pixels than the 943.
8612 1,920 x 1,080 = 2,073,600. This unit has 125% more pixels than the 943 and 11% less than the 8610.

Baltimore canyon 3nm scale.
943 3nm.png 8610 3nm.png

It you zoom out one click to 5 nm scale you cross the line where detail is dropped to display a larger area.
943 5nm.png 8610 5nm.png

Go back the other way and zoom in to 0.5nm scale.
943 1:2nm.png 8610 1:2nm.png

As you can see your field of view is substantially different between the units for a given scale. For chart plotting resolution matters. No so much with radar and sonar - but I haven't compared - to hard to do side-by-side comparison.

You get the same data from either unit but its harder to see what is around you or up the beach.

So as not to confuse anyone the 8610 had my NJ waypoint set loaded. The 943 did not. Does't affect the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sell it off when the dust settles.
Hence why I called your OLD Garmin 943xsv as "the old one...", being that you just bought a NEW unit to replace it with and you'll be selling the OLD one off here shortly.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got my screens powered up this morning. Here are the captured screen shots for the 943 and the 8610. I don't have my 4210 unit anymore but I'll give you screen resolution and you can imagine the difference.

4210 800 x 600 = 480,000 pixels.
943 1,280 x 720 = 921,000 pixels. This unit has 92% more pixels than the 4210.
8610 1,920 x 1,200 = 2,304,000. This unit has 150% more pixels than the 943.
8612 1,920 x 1,080 = 2,073,600. This unit has 125% more pixels than the 943 and 11% less than the 8610.

Baltimore canyon 3nm scale.
View attachment 27508 View attachment 27511

It you zoom out one click to 5 nm scale you cross the line where detail is dropped to display a larger area.
View attachment 27509 View attachment 27512

Go back the other way and zoom in to 0.5nm scale.
View attachment 27507 View attachment 27510

As you can see your field of view is substantially different between the units for a given scale. For chart plotting resolution matters. No so much with radar and sonar - but I haven't compared - to hard to do side-by-side comparison.

You get the same data from either unit but its harder to see what is around you or up the beach.

So as not to confuse anyone the 8610 had my NJ waypoint set loaded. The 943 did not. Does't affect the results.
Your math is actually slightly off with the screen resolution on the 943xsv where 1,280 x 720 pixels is actually 921,600... not 921,000. If the NEW unit that you bought works for you and you feel that the additional money spent is justified then that's all that matters. I honestly don't need much of anything in the way of chart plotting as I wake up, get out of bed, row the little boat or my kayak from the shore of my beach cabin out to my Grady on a mooring buoy and then start trolling for salmon once I take the boat of the buoy. About the only time that ever changes is if I needed to fill up with fuel, go back to the boat launch or go to a different fishing spot. There's three different fuel docks to choose from, all within about 10-15 miles from my cabin, the other fishing spot that I tend to fish is on the way to one of them and the boat ramp is on the way to another. I've fished and boated these waters for over 30 years and to where I don't even really need a chart plotter for cruising as there are green buoys and you literally just follow the coastline to stay out of the shallow water. The only thing I really need the MFD for is to see where the fish supposedly are and what depth they're at, how deep the water is where I'm trolling as fishing for king salmon you generally want your downrigger ball to be dragging bottom, or within about 10' of the bottom. It's also nice to see your speed and the water temperature, more so just for curiosity sake than anything else. So for my fishing/boating purposes, I can't at all justify spending almost $3k just for an MFD that basically only gives me a clearer image of the chart plotter portion of it, which I rarely ever use and when I bought my 943xsv as well new transducer for $1,700. If I ever wanted to add radar, the Garmin Fantom 18 is on sale at BOE Marine for $1,344... so I could almost buy all three for the same price that you bought just one of your 8610xsv's for, probably less if you paid tax on it. If you feel that the slightly more detailed image of the chart plotter portion of the screen is worth spending double the money of the 943xsv then it's your choice and your money spent. If it was a tv that I was watching for hours at a time then it would be one thing, but for an MFD that I basically only use for sonar or the Fish Eye 3d function? Absolutely no way at all. Good luck.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Everyone's use case is different. For what yours is the 943xsv is perfect.

The 8612xsv was an impulse buy. The marina I deal with is being sold and got out of the electronics business a while ago. They have a inventory of new in box Garmin units they are selling off. I bought a demo unit for $1,000. I can probably sell off my 943xsv for about the same price.

• Haha
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Well unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees at my house, but I've ordered what I think will work for what I need, and feel I got a good deal.

Raymarine Axiom 12 with Navionics charts (no transducer) retail is $2600, found it on clearance at West marine for $1900
Raymarine Axiom 9 RV, (no transducer), retail on raymarine says $1200, West Marine says $1000, they had it on sale for $800
They also had a special going that if you bought the Axiom 9 RV, they would give you the RV-100 transducer for free ($484 retail on west marine)
I'll just need to buy the Raynet to Raynet cable to link both of the MFD's together to share info.

I was going to just pay with my debit card, but then noticed Capital One had an offer for 10% cash back on purchases though West Marine, so figured I'll take the additional $270 back.

So for $2430 I got 2 screens and the transducer, I cant complain.

seasick

Reaction score
The problem with marine electronics s that they go 'obsolete' quickly. I have an early model Lowrance HDS and a few years after purchasing it, I ordered a new Navionics chip. The original HDS did not have Navionics data.
The chip worked but was soooo slow to load and refresh as you scrolled in and out. It also occasionally reboots which can be fairly annoying especially in untraveled waters:). Lowrance support was no help, not that I expected them to be helpful.
So if you are looking at older gear, try and verify that it will work well with whatever firmware or chart data you plan on using

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I like two at the helm and one at the transom for salmon fishing so my crew always knows where the bottom is when using downriggers. Keep the transom MFD always on a sounder and keep one of the two helm screens on the sounder. I can setup the second helm screen as needed.

It's also nice to have two at the helm for running in tight or thin conditions using plotter. I can have one screen zoomed out for the overall route and one in tight for shallows and rock detail. None of this is necessary, but it does make it convenient for multiple setups as in my example.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I like two at the helm and one at the transom for salmon fishing so my crew always knows where the bottom is when using downriggers. Keep the transom MFD always on a sounder and keep one of the two helm screens on the sounder. I can setup the second helm screen as needed.

It's also nice to have two at the helm for running in tight or thin conditions using plotter. I can have one screen zoomed out for the overall route and one in tight for shallows and rock detail. None of this is necessary, but it does make it convenient for multiple setups as in my example.
I'm cheap and already had an iPad, so when I bought my new Garmin 943xsv I was thinking about whether I should buy a second, but instead just bought a suction cup mount for my iPad. I typically mount it near the stern of the boat for use when fishing and just have the iPad mirror my Garmin, especially when fishing for kings as they are typically within the bottom 10' or so of the ocean. Fortunately the area I fish in is rather sandy, so if you do drag bottom for a bit then you'll be fine, but it is nice to have another screen of some kind back there for your depth, speed, where the fish are and so forth.

seasick

Reaction score
If I had room I'd install 2 but need to be mindful of how much electricity they'll use, especially if you like to leave them on while fishing.
Depending on the screen size, they don't consume a ton of power. If you have a stereo, it probably uses more power than your MFD

Fishtales

Reaction score
The problem with marine electronics s that they go 'obsolete' quickly. I have an early model Lowrance HDS and a few years after purchasing it, I ordered a new Navionics chip. The original HDS did not have Navionics data.
The chip worked but was soooo slow to load and refresh as you scrolled in and out. It also occasionally reboots which can be fairly annoying especially in untraveled waters:). Lowrance support was no help, not that I expected them to be helpful.
So if you are looking at older gear, try and verify that it will work well with whatever firmware or chart data you plan on using
I generally agree and would buy new stuff every time. I have 2007 technology and to be honest I really don't need anything more. If I have updated chart cards, radar overlay and a sounding module fishfinder I'm fine..

I will upgrade at some point, but my Raymarine equipment has been very solid. When new it was the bleeding edge and I was updating the firmware/software the first 3-4 years and replaced the digital sounder (no cost to me) due to a mfg defect. New tech has its maturation issues to factor into the equation...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I generally agree and would buy new stuff every time. I have 2007 technology and to be honest I really don't need anything more. If I have updated chart cards, radar overlay and a sounding module fishfinder I'm fine..
When I bought my boat last October it had an older Garmin 7" touchscreen unit on it that IIRC was manufactured around 2012 and it crapped out on me when I did a software update as well as added a new maps card to it. Had it not done so, I probably would've used it for at least a season or two and then gone from there if I wanted to upgrade later on. A 7" touchscreen is pretty small and the Garmin 943xsv that I upgraded to is much nicer, newer and quicker but I'd run what you've got until it goes belly up or you simply can't stand using it anymore.