Microwave for a 2002 330 Express?

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I give up, I've looked high and low, but seems like the shortest microwave I can find is 10.2" high. This is about a quarter inch taller than I can comfortably fit in my original 2002 330 galley. (I tried, no amount of shoving will fit the 10.2" microwave through the 10" hole.

Do I have to have a microwave? No. But I've got a gaping hole, I have the original trim kit, I have a generator... and frankly I wouldn't MIND having a microwave.

Any suggestions? The early 330s are pretty tight on cabinet space. If nobody has ideas I'll break out the saw but I'm not thrilled with that approach since it will be so visible.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure where your located but I have one from my 282 I'm looking to get rid of. I took the microwave and a/c off the boat when I first bought it and haven't used it since.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've continued my search and found another 872 microwaves that are all 10.2 or 10.3 inches tall... to my great surprise the one I found with a PUBLISHED height under 10" was a Williams-Sonoma store brand unit.

Called WS and got a guy to measure, he said it actually came in just shy of 10" including the rubber feet it sits on. Just placed an order, will report back soon if this one is a winner!

Edit: The guy at Williams Sonoma apparently didn't know how to use a tape measure.

Last edited:

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Our microwave died and we made it a enclosed cabinet.Installed custom door and poof! A cabinet.

1583259264439.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check Tappan. Not sure if they make this model still TM5030.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Update: Well the williams-sonoma microwave looks nice, (and was only $85) but I am suspicious it is exactly the same as the $49 Wal-Mart one... Despite their assurances to the contrary, it is awfully close to 10.2" high. :confused:

Will make a little more effort today to see about cramming it in place. I can certainly make the opening bigger, but hate to carve out more than I have to.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Tappan was what is in my boat. Maybe try reaching out to GW Cust Service and see what they have to say. They may know a manufacturer/model that fits. Worth a shot.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The Tappan was what is in my boat. Maybe try reaching out to GW Cust Service and see what they have to say. They may know a manufacturer/model that fits. Worth a shot.

Tappan seems to be out of business. I'm saving the GW cust service lifeline for inevitable more major projects. LOL

I measured 27 times and decided I could make this work. Took an oscillating tool to the opening today, cut about a quarter inch off the top (so there was nothing left for the top trim mounting screws to bite into) and just a tiny bit on the bottom edge. Took the two rubber feet off the front of the microwave (another 1/8 inch) and then pushed.

Got the microwave situated just about right - it was only about 1/8 inch from perfect so I got ahead of myself and thought I could make the trim ring work. Nope. Snapped it right in half, I should have known better. I should be able to get a local shop to fabricate me a replacement that fits perfectly, but that's not gonna be cheap. The back of the trim ring looks like it was shaved down by hand to fit the contours of the opening. Maybe I'll make my new ring sit on top.

Anyway - short version is, you can make the Williams Sonoma microwave work, but it isn't quite perfect. This photo doesn't show it very well, but there's about a 1/2" gap on both sides, so if/when I make a new trim ring, I'll make the top a bit narrower but the sides a bit fatter.

microwave.jpg

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Here is what GW is using in the 300 now. It is a MUAVE Microwave. Seems to be the same size as previous.

my20_300_galley_2000.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Got ya, didn't know you solved it yet. For anyone else....
The Tappan was 9 5/8" X 17 7/16" X 14 3/16"
The Muvave is 10.2" X 17.3" X 13. Looks like the height may be an issue for a direct replacement.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Got ya, didn't know you solved it yet. For anyone else....
The Tappan was 9 5/8" X 17 7/16" X 14 3/16"
The Muvave is 10.2" X 17.3" X 13. Looks like the height may be an issue for a direct replacement.

Comically, that Muave ALSO looks like it is identical to the "williams sonoma" one I installed. Not that it's a guarantee, but the control panel layout is identical. (and it is sufficiently odd as it is)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob one manufacturer of a small version and they all badge it.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Same issue here, went with a newer one (all of which have the dimensions you mentioned) and had a new trim piece cut to fit from a cardboard template I made. Unless I missed something, there are no more microwaves being made to the original dimension of the factory installed unit.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tappan seems to be out of business. I'm saving the GW cust service lifeline for inevitable more major projects. LOL

I measured 27 times and decided I could make this work. Took an oscillating tool to the opening today, cut about a quarter inch off the top (so there was nothing left for the top trim mounting screws to bite into) and just a tiny bit on the bottom edge. Took the two rubber feet off the front of the microwave (another 1/8 inch) and then pushed.

Got the microwave situated just about right - it was only about 1/8 inch from perfect so I got ahead of myself and thought I could make the trim ring work. Nope. Snapped it right in half, I should have known better. I should be able to get a local shop to fabricate me a replacement that fits perfectly, but that's not gonna be cheap. The back of the trim ring looks like it was shaved down by hand to fit the contours of the opening. Maybe I'll make my new ring sit on top.

Anyway - short version is, you can make the Williams Sonoma microwave work, but it isn't quite perfect. This photo doesn't show it very well, but there's about a 1/2" gap on both sides, so if/when I make a new trim ring, I'll make the top a bit narrower but the sides a bit fatter.

View attachment 11324
I'm thinking you could router a white 1/4 inch starboard trim frame pretty easliy...