Microwave or Fridge Space?

fellinger

Reaction score
I use my 27 Sailfish for fishing and family. When we do on very rare occasion stay on the boat we never use the fridge or microwave. I was thinking of removing both and having an insert storage box or tackle centers made for each opening.

Has anyone done this? If so, were you able to find something stock or did you need custom work done? Pictures?

Thanks!

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
just saw this- if you pull the fridge and want to sell it, send dimensions and I might be interested in buying if if you are selling it

thx

seasick

Reaction score
fellinger said:
I use my 27 Sailfish for fishing and family. When we do on very rare occasion stay on the boat we never use the fridge or microwave. I was thinking of removing both and having an insert storage box or tackle centers made for each opening.

Has anyone done this? If so, were you able to find something stock or did you need custom work done? Pictures?

Thanks!
Removing the fridge will lower the value of the boat if and when you sell it. The microwave not so much but regardless, whatever you decide, save all the parts and make sure that you can reinstall later if you decide to sell.

fellinger

Reaction score
seasick said:
fellinger said:

Thanks!
Removing the fridge will lower the value of the boat if and when you sell it. The microwave not so much but regardless, whatever you decide, save all the parts and make sure that you can reinstall later if you decide to sell.

The intent is to keep them both. I don't use them so, I figured the extra storage would be nice. Right now the entire coffin bunk is fishing gear storage.

tilewave

Reaction score
Hello, I removed my fridge and microwave and made usable storage space very easily . I will take some pics later along with dimensions .

fellinger

Reaction score
tilewave said:
Hello, I removed my fridge and microwave and made usable storage space very easily . I will take some pics later along with dimensions .

That would be awesome! Thank you very much!

tilewave

Reaction score
I can't figure how to post pics ...shoot me a text and I'll text em to you 908 337 4965

fellinger

Reaction score
tilewave said:
I can't figure how to post pics ...shoot me a text and I'll text em to you 908 337 4965

Thanks. Text sent.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I remember having the same thoughts when I bought my Sailfish and posted the question here. At the bottom is a photo of a tackle storage solution:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19834

I ended up concluding that adding storage draws wouldn't provide a whole lot more storage then just using my fridge for storage so that is what I did. I keep my first aid kit, sun screen, WD40 and a mess of other stuff in there. It was a bit rusted so I gave it a "face lift" which is described here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20298

For the microwave, I ended up adding a 1500 Watt inverter to the boat so I can run it at sea and that has been a big hit. I use it to heat water for instant coffee of tea, prepare microwave popcorn, and cook hot dogs. It's great to be able to have a bit of hot food at sea. I've since added a Keurig Mini machine and can now prepare an excellent cup of coffee at sea. The inverter discussion is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20373&p=128087&hilit=inverter

Back to the storage question - I seen a few solutions that remove the fridge and capture all the potential space under there as there is a fair amount that is currently just wasted space. One just removed the fridge and carpeted the whole area. A similar approach is described here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21511

fellinger

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
I remember having the same thoughts when I bought my Sailfish and posted the question here. At the bottom is a photo of a tackle storage solution:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19834

I ended up concluding that adding storage draws wouldn't provide a whole lot more storage then just using my fridge for storage so that is what I did. I keep my first aid kit, sun screen, WD40 and a mess of other stuff in there. It was a bit rusted so I gave it a "face lift" which is described here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20298

For the microwave, I ended up adding a 1500 Watt inverter to the boat so I can run it at sea and that has been a big hit. I use it to heat water for instant coffee of tea, prepare microwave popcorn, and cook hot dogs. It's great to be able to have a bit of hot food at sea. I've since added a Keurig Mini machine and can now prepare an excellent cup of coffee at sea. The inverter discussion is here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20373&p=128087&hilit=inverter

Back to the storage question - I seen a few solutions that remove the fridge and capture all the potential space under there as there is a fair amount that is currently just wasted space. One just removed the fridge and carpeted the whole area. A similar approach is described here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21511

Awesome information! Thanks to everyone. Now I am seriously rethinking the microwave and a coffee maker for my offshore trips. I was thinking, could the inverter be mounted in the enclosed are behind the shore power inlet below the helm of a Sailfish or in the helm itself? I can't recall if there is enough room. I need to replace those two panels so, maybe putting the inverter in there and installing a remote on/off switch would be worth it. Is 1,000 watts enough or should I consider a 1,500 watt model?

As far as removing the fridge I think I am still going to do that because I'd rather the extra storage space. If that are could fit my life raft, PFD's and ditch bag that would be awesome. If not, it would certainly hold some of my tackle bags, crate of supplies and toolbox which would free up space in the coffin bunk for the raft.

Thanks again!

Fred

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fellinger said:
Awesome information! Thanks to everyone. Now I am seriously rethinking the microwave and a coffee maker for my offshore trips. I was thinking, could the inverter be mounted in the enclosed are behind the shore power inlet below the helm of a Sailfish or in the helm itself? I can't recall if there is enough room. I need to replace those two panels so, maybe putting the inverter in there and installing a remote on/off switch would be worth it. Is 1,000 watts enough or should I consider a 1,500 watt model?

A 1000 Watt inverter would probably handle the microwave which I believe is 700 Watts. The standard Keurig machine requires 1500 Watts but the K130 Desk Pro model uses only 700 Watts so you could run that. There is a Keurig discussion here:

http://theboatgalley.com/keurig/

I installed my inverter close to the battery to minimize the DC cable run. If you install the inverter in the helm, you will have to make sure you use heavy enough gauge 12-volt cable which you should be able to look up somewhere. 1000 Watts at 120 volts will pull about 100 amps at 12 volts.

Ozz043

Reaction score
G-Day
I've removed the microwave and hot water tank because I just won't use them. I don't have a generator and have no intention of installing one. To use them at marina I'd have to convert wiring to 240v which is a waste of time and money. I've converted the microwave space into a storage area and love it !! Very handy indeed.

I love my fridge !! I keep it on all the time, keeping beer and water in it for when I'm doing maintenance or just having a cold beer after work :lol: When fishing I keep the food in there..it stays dry and stink free

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 3,883

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I use my fridge all the time but have only ever used the microwave once. That space is so small that I'm not contemplating using it. I run the genset every week or so only to keep the fuel fresh and to keep it running. Someday I'll do the inside passage and I'll use it then.

Thanks for posting up the converter links. That looks like a very handy add on.