Mid season cleaning

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey guys, I’ve never cleaned/restored the eisenglass. It’s getting a bit dull. What is the product of choice? So many on the web. Also going to clean the bolsters and don’t want to use a bleach based product. Any suggestions???

Thanks for the input

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Plexus . It's in an spray can and it's specifically for clear vinyl based materials. It will help but it doesn't remove deep scratches. Maguire's makes something similar. You need one of these to really clean the Eisenglass. Bleach isn't going to help. If you are talking about the sunbrella fabric lining the clear , use a little vinegar and then soapy water.

Oh, for some us the season has just started. Mid season cleaning...that's like July for me. Lol.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If it is strataglass, GW recommends the IMAR cleaner and polish. I just got a new enclosure this year and this is what I was told to use.
In the past, I've used the Meguairs 2-step (cleaner and polish) and then finished with the Plexus. Did this for 12 seasons and the glass looked great.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If it is strataglass, GW recommends the IMAR cleaner and polish. I just got a new enclosure this year and this is what I was told to use.
In the past, I've used the Meguairs 2-step (cleaner and polish) and then finished with the Plexus. Did this for 12 seasons and the glass looked great.
I replaced my OEM vinyl stuff a couple years ago with strataglass material. It is night and day superior product. It is more durable, clearer and easy to clean. It doesn't fog with temperature changes and so forth. I have both the Maguire product you mention and plexus . I never thought about using them in tandem as you do Fishtales, but next time I need to clean them up, I will give it a try! Thanks for the tips.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the original material was (strataglass or eisenglass). They were new from GW on the boat and made by AJ Canvas. When I ordered a new set I could have got eisenglass or for $100 more strataglass. I went for the latter. The original set was done with the Meguair and Plexus for 10 years. When done. they were shiny, pliable and clear. There were scratches mostly from the roll straps (these were plastic on the original set, now they are the ivory stamoid material with a felt backer to mitigate scratching). About 1/2 way through the season, I could have done it again, but never did. Once a year was enough elbow grease for me.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm not sure what the original material was (strataglass or eisenglass). They were new from GW on the boat and made by AJ Canvas. When I ordered a new set I could have got eisenglass or for $100 more strataglass. I went for the latter. The original set was done with the Meguair and Plexus for 10 years. When done. they were shiny, pliable and clear. There were scratches mostly from the roll straps (these were plastic on the original set, now they are the ivory stamoid material with a felt backer to mitigate scratching). About 1/2 way through the season, I could have done it again, but never did. Once a year was enough elbow grease for me.
I like the idea of the ivory strap with a felt backing. Was this a custom item by the fabricator or something you installed?

Fishtales

Reaction score
It came with each piece that rolls up. It was a canvas improvement cut in to all new boats some time after 2006.