Midship bulkhead, what do you make of this? Islander 268

Neckbone

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thought this a curious find in my new to me Islander 268. What do you all make of the bonding between the hull and bulkhead? Neither side appears a to be bonded and one has foam in there…seems to have been this way from the factory. I was worried at first, but it looks to have been this way since 1996. Per customer relations at GW these pieces are supposed to be bonded on all sides.

Attachments

• 4FDB5845-7C6B-4AFF-9706-7B7E45832FC5.jpeg
    4FDB5845-7C6B-4AFF-9706-7B7E45832FC5.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 25DF3068-66F8-445D-87D6-ACE24005306A.jpeg
    25DF3068-66F8-445D-87D6-ACE24005306A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • 965A33F5-0860-4B96-9C66-6AE77D47FCA5.jpeg
    965A33F5-0860-4B96-9C66-6AE77D47FCA5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 627F2B85-A5B7-4DDD-959B-E7B7BD4F84BE.jpeg
    627F2B85-A5B7-4DDD-959B-E7B7BD4F84BE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 22FD2C2C-B471-4951-81C7-C9DC0767E6C6.png
    22FD2C2C-B471-4951-81C7-C9DC0767E6C6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Maybe that was the intent from the original 'production' drawings, but it was later deemed unnecessary. From a structural integrity standpoint, it doesn't make any difference. You found a nothing-burger.
When you look under the dash you will find an entire McDonalds.

Neckbone

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Maybe that was the intent from the original 'production' drawings, but it was later deemed unnecessary. From a structural integrity standpoint, it doesn't make any difference. You found a nothing-burger.
When you look under the dash you will find an entire McDonalds.
Under the dash doesn’t scare me… possible structural issues def do…

curious if anyone else’s Islander looks like this

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That drawing (not in my owners manual) looks nothing like my 1997 268 Islander. The forward tank (134 gallon) is 68" long and is almost all under the helm. Behind it is a bulkhead the width of the aft tank. There is no extra space in the compartments. The bulkhead between the tanks is completely tabbed in.

2 Tanks uncovered.jpeg 26 Bulkhead 1.jpeg 27 Bulkhead 2.jpeg 33 Tanks installed.jpeg

Upon closer look the drawing doesn't look right but the tank dimensions in the hole do look right. That bulkhead you marked in blue is too far forward. The photo's are of the bulkhead behind the forward tank. That bulkhead does not go full width - only the width of the aft tank. It looks like the bulkhead continues but is not one piece.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you 100% verify that there was NO tabbing? Meaning, possibly a lighterweight tabbing was used - just not the heavier mat.

But... going on the assumption that there is none for now...

As Family said, it's not really necessary for structural integrity in that area. Plus, given there is no evidence of excessive movement/damage/etc to that area, and the fact that it's approaching 30 years old... it's quite to safe to say that everything is just fine.

Go ahead and tab it if you want, but put the microscope down and step back and look at the big picture. In other words... put the deck plate back on and go boating :)

Reactions: family affair

Neckbone

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Did you 100% verify that there was NO tabbing? Meaning, possibly a lighterweight tabbing was used - just not the heavier mat.

But... going on the assumption that there is none for now...

As Family said, it's not really necessary for structural integrity in that area. Plus, given there is no evidence of excessive movement/damage/etc to that area, and the fact that it's approaching 30 years old... it's quite to safe to say that everything is just fine.

Go ahead and tab it if you want, but put the microscope down and step back and look at the big picture. In other words... put the deck plate back on and go boating :)
This last sentence is probably the best advice. I am definitely picking the boat apart.. the issue is I dont want to sink a bunch of time, money ,and effort accessorizing a boat that is foundationally compromised. I was not at my best when looking at the boat (late night before) so I didnt really do my due diligence and am discovering things I should and would have noticed. My goals afor this boat are long bahamas runs, dry tortugas, Venice La lump, etc. I want to do big water things so want to make sure the boat is big water strong. You are probably right though... just fkn send it!
That drawing (not in my owners manual) looks nothing like my 1997 268 Islander. The forward tank (134 gallon) is 68" long and is almost all under the helm. Behind it is a bulkhead the width of the aft tank. There is no extra space in the compartments. The bulkhead between the tanks is completely tabbed in.

View attachment 32061 View attachment 32062 View attachment 32063 View attachment 32064

Upon closer look the drawing doesn't look right but the tank dimensions in the hole do look right. That bulkhead you marked in blue is too far forward. The photo's are of the bulkhead behind the forward tank. That bulkhead does not go full width - only the width of the aft tank. It looks like the bulkhead continues but is not one piece.
This was a drawing sent to me by GW customer relations... she marked it in blue and said this was the bulkhead I was concerned about which I believe it is. The picture showing the bulkhead was taken from the access hatch that is on a slant - facing forward. It is actually forward of the speaker shown in the photo. The more I look at it the less I am "worried" from a structural standpoint.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This last sentence is probably the best advice. I am definitely picking the boat apart.. the issue is I dont want to sink a bunch of time, money ,and effort accessorizing a boat that is foundationally compromised. I was not at my best when looking at the boat (late night before) so I didnt really do my due diligence and am discovering things I should and would have noticed. My goals afor this boat are long bahamas runs, dry tortugas, Venice La lump, etc. I want to do big water things so want to make sure the boat is big water strong. You are probably right though... just fkn send it!

This was a drawing sent to me by GW customer relations... she marked it in blue and said this was the bulkhead I was concerned about which I believe it is. The picture showing the bulkhead was taken from the access hatch that is on a slant - facing forward. It is actually forward of the speaker shown in the photo. The more I look at it the less I am "worried" from a structural standpoint.
It doesn't really matter. The outboard structure helps keep the large stringers vertical. You will be fine.

If you put your hand in there. The forward tank fuel hoses run directly to the Starboard side and up to the fill. That hose is only 8" or so in front of the bulkhead I had to cut out. That divides the fwd/aft fuel compartments.

Last edited: