Might be moving to FLA

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So my wife is thinking about making the move to Florida. Specifically St. Augustine, I have a 226 with hardtop and I am contemplating what to do. Couple options would be

1) Keep the Grady which I love, but would have to tow 800 miles.
2) Sell the Grady and get something down there.
3) Sell the Grady move and don’t get a boat.

I am not sure if the Grady would be good enough for the ocean down there(East Coast not sure what seas are like) probably be good for the bay and rivers. I do like the payment on my Grady which is 0.00 a month and I have a brand new trailer for it, literally bought it this past summer. So the trailer has about 40 miles on it.

This all might not happen but our lovely state of Connecticut is looking for ways to raise more spending money in taxes on an already highly taxed population.

Fishtales

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't like your first sentance. Sounds like your trousers are in the closet that way it is written and you are not on board yet.
1.) Talk it over and decide as a team if you are moving. If so, you both need to be happy and take what you want.
2.) Review the boat. Does it have a hardtop? Does it have AC? What is needed on a boat in that area. Assuming you feel good about the layout of the boat, I say have it transported down. You can always sell/trade it later if you don't like it down there. You don't need another thing on your mind or feel you are settling for less. My boat and it's going with me and it is part of the decision to move is what I'd be thinking. Just my 2 pennies.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Let me redo the first sentence. I have wanted to move for about five years. Wife is on board now so it might happen.

Reactions: Long Island Painter

Fishtales

Reaction score
OK! Trousers on with belt and suspenders. Take the boat, try it out. If it doesn't work out sell down there is my advice.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We moved permanently from Norfolk, VA to Fort Myers Beach in April/May 2016. My wife and I ran the boat down the ICW and across the OWW. A great 1200-mile trip.

Yes, your boat is a bit smaller, but quite capable. Make a journey out of it, enjoy the scenery, smell the roses, then fly home and finish the move.

JMHO.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
1. a 226 is plenty of boat for east coast. They don't call it a Seafarer for nuthin'
2. General rule never buy a Florida boat. they get used at least twice as much as everywhere else.
3.You have a brand new trailer. Hop on I-95...no turns until St. Augustine....
4. You know your boat. Does it need to be replaced? Do you really want bigger? Smaller?
5. There is no point in living in Florida without a boat.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1. a 226 is plenty of boat for east coast. They don't call it a Seafarer for nuthin'
2. General rule never buy a Florida boat. they get used at least twice as much as everywhere else.
3.You have a brand new trailer. Hop on I-95...no turns until St. Augustine....
4. You know your boat. Does it need to be replaced? Do you really want bigger? Smaller?
5. There is no point in living in Florida without a boat.

The boat is an 03 with 1100 hours on the engine so no it doesn’t need to be replaced. I want bigger but don’t need bigger. I think the truck(ram 1500) 8600 max towing and a brand new trailer would make the trip.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jump in the truck and come on down, the water's fine. Don't make too much of it. Point that Ram this way, and don't look back. When the radiator of that Ram gets to St. Augustine you will find that boat right there behind you, ichin to get wet.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Jump in the truck and come on down, the water's fine. Don't make too much of it. Point that Ram this way, and don't look back. When the radiator of that Ram gets to St. Augustine you will find that boat right there behind you, ichin to get wet.

An 800 mile tow with a boat no larger than a Seafarer is nothing, especially since you have a new trailer. A 1/2 ton rig like you describe you have will pull it no prob. if the trip seems laborious to you or you don't like the idea, have it transported, as Fish mentioned.

I think you'll want a bigger boat once down to St Aug if you do make the move. It's too rough for a Seafarer a lot of the time offshore on the East Coast. You'll be regulated to the ICW & bays/rivers except on days with 10Kt winds or less. If it blows toward 15-20kts, which it does often, especially in the Winter, you'll get thrown around out there. Can the boat take it safely? Sure. Your Fun Factor will diminish quickly, however and you'll be thinking toward that Express or Marlin. This, of course, depends on the level of comfort you need to have aboard. The Admiral figures into the comfort equation as well.

I'm with the others..C'mon down with the boat in tow. Use it for a season and if it feels small, you'll sell it easier in Fla than a lot of other places.

I agree with Skunk on two points:
1.) Do not buy a used Fla boat. The state is filled with "not so shining" examples of neglected boats everywhere.
2.) There is no point in living in Fla without a boat. True....

Remember this is a great problem to have. Fla is filling up fast with Baby Booms heading this way on a rising economy and winters that don't seem to get any warmer or shorter. We moved here in 2012 and haven't regretted it. Get your spot soon.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
It's too rough for a Seafarer a lot of the time offshore on the East Coast. You'll be regulated to the ICW & bays/rivers except on days with 10Kt winds or less. If it blows toward 15-20kts, which it does often, especially in the Winter, you'll get thrown around out there.

;)you west coast FL guys are spoiled. NW at 20- 25 knts in Feb= SAILFISH

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
;)you west coast FL guys are spoiled. NW at 20- 25 knts in Feb= SAILFISH

Yep:

Lots calmer in the Gulf, although any water riled by 20-25kts is water I won't see; at least not on purpose.

Maybe age has something to do with it also...

We went sharkin' out of Bud & Mary's on Islamorada years ago; 20kt Easterlies gusting to 25 running counter to the Stream..5-6 footers that seemed darn near vertical with the current against 'em. We were in a 40-something sportfish charter..twin diesel rig. it was tossed about like a rubber duck in a bathtub. It stopped being fun for me long before it got that rough.

I admire you guys that can do it, but those days are over for me.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have to agree with the others, put that boat on the trailer and head South. Figure out if you need a different boat after you've been there and tested the waters. You know your boat and your comfortable in it. I'd rather start my new adventure in a boat I know than one I just bought. Living in Florida, you need a boat,,,it just goes together.

800 miles is nothing, I pull to Tampa and Cape Coral from Kentucky, point the truck and go, the boat will follow.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Really want a center console if I am in Florida. The cabin on my 226 is just a holding tank of stuff.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ran my first two Grady walk-arounds in Florida from 1977-90. I sold the '86 Seafarer when I moved out west so that I could get an easily trailerable aluminum. That turned out to work out well. But when I moved back to Florida in 2008, I figured that I needed a center console, just like everybody told me. So I went through a couple of them before getting a Grady 226. While center consoles are great for casting and fighting fish around the boat, I found that they were too wet and cold for me in the winter. The 226 has excellent protection and the rear cockpit is fine for trolling and bottom fishing. So I'd recommend bringing your present boat to see how it works for you in the new area. Then you can decide what to do based on your own experience and preferences.

I haven't been in a 226 or 228 in the Atlantic, but I have had mine to the Keys (which is the Atlantic I guess). They are fine for their size in longer period waves. They actually ride better in a 5' long period wave pattern than in the typical 2'-3' Gulf chop. I've also been WAY offshore in them in the Pacific in 8' swells, which they handle fine. But these are a different type of wave then you typically get in the Atlantic.

Last edited:

SirGrady226

Reaction score
The 226 is just fine for us over here on the East Coast (Jupiter), we enjoy the versatility of the Seafarer. We venture out to fish off shore, then come in and anchor up in the river and chill and grill. The cabin storage is very handy along with the porta potti for the gals, we also have had to duck inside for a passing rain storm. It's nice to have shelter if a summer shower threatens. Any seas over 3 feet we avoid if possible, unless mamma stays home and just the guys go fishing.
I have been 4-5 miles off shore fishing and the boat handled the ocean with ease.

off shore.jpg

Reactions: mmiela and Ky Grady

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Really want a center console if I am in Florida. The cabin on my 226 is just a holding tank of stuff.

you could get a 30 ft center console and you'll still get wet in a 15 kt wind and 3 ft chop

I've fished a lot out of Hillsboro Inlet on various boats from 19' cc to 29' express to 32 ' cc
That Seafarer is plenty of boat for East coast FL. You'll have all year to pick your days. Not like in the Northeast where you have 6 months to jam in every trip you can.
On flat days you'll be deep dropping daytime swords with a giant smile on your face.

Just remember that Florida inlets are terrible, don't try to run thru breakers in the inlet no matter how big your boat is...

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I ran a 22' Seafarer offshore east coast, Fl (Vero Beach) for years without any problems. Like anywhere else you need to watch the weather, and choose the right days. My last 22' Grady which I repowered with twin Tohatsu 115s is running back and forth from Miami to Bimini and back, by it's new owner. If the boat & motor are in good shape and you like the boat and are a decent captain, it will be fine down here.old grady.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mmiela