Minimum HP Grady White Tournament 223?

TaraMcM

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
I have a 200 HPDI Yamaha on my GW Tournament which died and can only find a 150 2 stroke HPDI, anyone have any experience with a 150 on a 223? It’s a 2002

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I suspect that the boat will be underpowered with the 150 and if the motor is a 4 stroke 150, the boat will be even worse

Reactions: TaraMcM

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As mentioned in the other thread... how fast were you able to go with the 200 HPDI on your 223 Tournament? I imagine that the 150 HPDI will still work but it will likely only put the boat at a maximum speed in the 35 mph range or so. If you do most of your boating with just yourself or one/two other people and a light amount of gear then you probably wouldn't have an issue. If you're constantly fishing/boating with 4-5 people and a ton of gear, then I definitely think she's going to struggle a bit to get up on a plane and stay there. Especially if the lower horsepower outboard has the incorrect prop on it, but it's going to depend on more than a couple of different variables. Good luck either way. Where are you located at? Have you checked your local Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and eBay for outboard motors?

TaraMcM

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
Most of the time we have a light load but occasionally have max passengers. Purely pleasure no fishing or gear other than beach stuff. Strictly Great South Bay boating, the only engine on resell sites is the 150 Yamaha HPDI, otherwise order a new Suzuki 200. Which leads to my next question, anyone repower with a Suzuki 200 on a Tournament 223? Boat is 2002.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most of the time we have a light load but occasionally have max passengers. Purely pleasure no fishing or gear other than beach stuff. Strictly Great South Bay boating, the only engine on resell sites is the 150 Yamaha HPDI, otherwise order a new Suzuki 200.
What is the difference in price between the used HPDI and a new Suzuki 200?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most of the time we have a light load but occasionally have max passengers. Purely pleasure no fishing or gear other than beach stuff. Strictly Great South Bay boating, the only engine on resell sites is the 150 Yamaha HPDI, otherwise order a new Suzuki 200. Which leads to my next question, anyone repower with a Suzuki 200 on a Tournament 223? Boat is 2002.
I'm assuming that the Great South Bay Area is in New York? Or at least that's what Google is telling me, I'm on the west coast in the Seattle area so I'm not familiar with the area at all. That being said, I'd consider a short jaunt to DC if you can't find anything closer.

TaraMcM

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 223
I'm assuming that the Great South Bay Area is in New York? Or at least that's what Google is telling me, I'm on the west coast in the Seattle area so I'm not familiar with the area at all. That being said, I'd consider a short jaunt to DC if you can't find anything closer.

Thank you!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned a 225 Tournament with a 200 Saltwater Series. Added a Mirage Plus 15.25 x 17 prop and that helped, but it's no speed demon. You can get to 40 mph if you trim it high. Low end will be a challenge if you want to pull a skier.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I was told that the minimum hp on any boat should be no less than 80% of max. I think your boat is rated at 250 so 80% of that is 50. 200 should be the minimum

seasick

Reaction score
A lot based on the searches I did yesterday. An early 2000s 200 HPDI was asking about $3,000 or so.
I think a new zuke would run about $18,000 .

seasick

Reaction score
I was told that the minimum hp on any boat should be no less than 80% of max. I think your boat is rated at 250 so 80% of that is 50. 200 should be the minimum
That's interesting guideline that I have not heard before but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A lot based on the searches I did yesterday. An early 2000s 200 HPDI was asking about $3,000 or so.
I think a new zuke would run about $18,000 .
Look at post #10 where the OP mentioned a brand new 200 Suzuki is almost $23k in their area. Seems quite high to me, as you'd think it would be under the $20k range. But it sounds like getting a used 2 stroke for $3k is likely better for them at this point, especially since their boat is currently already rigged up for an HPDI outboard.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With regards to horsepower levels... I think the best ways of determining whether or not a certain horsepower of outboard will work or not is to either ask a forum such as this and/or see what most boats have that are being sold. Before I bought my 228 Seafarer I asked the same question as well as just looked on websites like Boat Trader and so forth to see what most boats came with in regards to power levels. Most 228 Seafarer's have a 225 hp outboard at the minimum, some of my vintage have F250's on them and then the newer ones were rated up to 300 hp. Having owned my boat for almost 2 years now I can definitely say that I wouldn't want anything less than 225 horsepower as the boat is quite heavy, especially when fully loaded. But, there were a couple of boats for sale at the time that had an F200 on them, I think one might've even had an F150 on it, which again imo is a bit underpowered. I think the same came be said here in the OP's situation where it seems like the general consensus is a minimum of 200 hp and that 150 is likely going to be a bit underpowered, though obviously still doable depending on load, conditions, etc.