Minimum Power 23 Gulfstream

wpirate

Reaction score
Thank you all for being there
I am from Newfoundland in the sometimes harsh north atlantic
I presently own a locally made boat called a sea serpent which is a great boat and handles the seas well.
I have a one year old 90hp etec which I would like to keep.
A chap from Maine has a 23' gulfstream which appears in great shape with 2 yamaha 150s one of which works.
My question is ... will my one 90hp get this boat on plane. Would I manage 20 to 25mph?
I have no desire to get 40mph would be a tough thing to do around here anyway. Tis 4000km to the nearest coast when heading east. She is normally rough
I was looking at a 22' grady as well. Seems they have an 8' beam.
Mine has a 7' beam which results in significant twist on 8 foot swells. Looking for more beam to decrease this cavitation.
As I see it another foot of beam from the seafarer would be a definite improvement but a 10' beam would be sweet
I would not be able to run twin 150hps as the fuel expense would keep me at the wharf.
Thank you all for any opinions

wpirate

Reaction score
Thanks Guys
Much appreciate your knowledge
Will be contemplating a 22seafarer ... some say 8 foot beam and others say 8'6" beam
Price range in the 10,000 mark, would sell the power thats on it and keep my new 90hp etec
In that range it seems it will be a late 80s model with power. I have heard much good about these boats
Did some of the 22 seafarers have wider beams?

This be like my boat
http://www.greenbayfibre.ca/gbfp1b.jpg
I would think my 90 would get the seafarer up on plane
May be just as wise to buy one with newer power 4stroke for fuel efficiency 115hp maybe and sell mine with engine
Thanks again guys
Computers sure can be a wonderful thing ... the experience of others experience
A word from the north? Great fishing season this year
Cod the size of dogs
pictures on fishingnewfoundland.com

no problem

Reaction score
Sounds like your set on underpowering a boat in an area with rough seas. In my opinion if you cant afford fuel your looking at the wrong size boats. If the motors you're suggesting worked, lots of us would use them and save a ton of gas money. I would think a seafarer with a 90 or 115 will have more problems than a "significant twist". Please be careful, good luck!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Please take this with an open mind.

You are on the wrong track.
You need the extra power for reasons other than top speed.
Gulfstreams need at least 250 HP and Seafarers, at least 200. Preferably, 225.
The advantage of these motors is the planing power to get the boat on plane and the mid-range accelleration capabilities to saw thru heavy seas that your describing you boat in.
To drastically underpower these boats as your talking about doing will not only cause your Etec to be overworked and therefore shorten it's life, but you'll be comprimising handling and maybe even safety offshore.
My words here are meant only to help you avoid putting money and time into a boat/engine combo that has no hope of working correctly and safely.

I have owned a Seafarer, and now own a Gulfstream. I know what I'm saying.

Good luck..

wpirate

Reaction score
thanks Guys appreciate your candor
All I need would be to get a 22footer on plane
Rarely can one exceed 18 mph the cold water is hard ... you would need a back brace if you thought of much faster
One of the guys in my harbour has a 27’century with 2 new Yamaha 225s ... he gets around no quicker than me
I have skippered a 35ft lobster boat, 25ft Bertram, 1st mated a 55’ 150 miles off shore. Along with many other craft.
90% of my time on the water is not in excess of 15 to 18 mph
My range is from cape spear, the most easterly part of north America to Torbay. 8 miles is my outermost range. Will take your advice on the power. If I could get 3 mpg at 18mph on a 22footer I would be pleased. A good 4stroke 200hp I suspect will do that for me.
I truly believe the grady is the answer around here. There are none in my area. Seem to have good amount of space for fishing and are tough.
I have never been at the helm of a grady but plan on doing so within the next few months
Thanks for the help and if any of you skippers are up my way look me up at www.fishingnewfoundland.com