Missing flanged edge on transom drain on my 282

KLH

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello
I just purchased a 2004 282.
The boat needs some TLC but over all it’s pretty solid. My surveyor said the transom was reading high on moisture but not overly worried as I had him run down the line and the 4 other boats in dry stack pinged high as well.. What I did notice was a missing flanged edge so when the runs through the drain on the transom it hit raw fiber glass first.
I called Grady to see about getting the part buy no one has gotten back to me. Any suggestions on where to find a replacement?
Thanks

Attachments

• BCE1AE0D-EB6A-4871-8F22-962726CBD1EF.jpeg
    BCE1AE0D-EB6A-4871-8F22-962726CBD1EF.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 24

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is a brass drain tube. Tough to see from the picture, but it looks to be correct. There is only a very small flare on one end and after installed the other end is flared the same way.
Maybe clean the area up under it as well as the tube itself and take additional pictures. From what I see, it looks to be normal.

KLH

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks. The flare is gone and it actually is slightly inside the Fiberglass. The one on the other side is correct. Would you know a replacement part ?
I’m concerned water intrusion.

Thanks for responding!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When did you contact Grady? They're usually pretty good at getting back to people.

The drain tubes are flared in place. You need a flanging tool and a new, brass drain tube. That's kind of an odd thing to have happen, though. Possibly someone replaced the old one and didn't know what they were doing and never flared it.

I seem to recall there are plastic ones that screw together.

KLH

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yesterday but I’ll try again. Thanks for the input.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pretty simple job with the right flange tool and correct diameter pipe. But to be honest if it were me I would pop that tube out and glass it in. It won't be pretty looking, unless u take your time sand and gelcoat match it, but it'll never leak again. The brass tubes end up failing or breaking eventually. Over the winter I'll be doing this to my boat even tho my scupper tubes are in good condition.