Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland Rivers and Kentucky Lake. Eleven days, through to pulling boat.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks like a great trip.
Your fuel numbers are a lot better than Grady's test reports. What's the secret?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Pulling the boat at Lake Barkley State Park. Mississippi River staining not near as bad as I thought it would be.

ImP8573.jpg

By the way, forward bilge stayed bone dry this trip despite a few pretty good t-storms. (I believe that comfirms that Lake Erie's short chop was climbing in bilge outlet.)

Family. I run a prop one size up from what Grady recommends. I can check exact size when I get home, if you want. This was third new Grady we bought from Mariner Marine. Service manager suggested that we would be happier with this prop, knowing how we use the boat. Of course, he offered to switch prop out if we preferred after delivery.

I took a Yamaha tech from another shop for a ride when we later installed the F300. That tech also confirmed that the engine seemed quite happy with that prop.

Drawback from common practice is that boat tops out at 5400-5500 rpm, depending on fuel load. But Yamaha does recommend 5000-6000, so it’s well within that range.

For me, I’m typically cruising for optimum fuel economy, around 3400 - 3500 rpm. If I want to make good time, I may cruise 3800 to maybe 4000 rpm. Never more than 4000 rpm.

I’m always a bit overly sensitive to every sound or vibration when I’m so far from home. So I try to maintain her well and not push anything too much along the way.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is a great recap. Few people take the time to do what you have done here. Looking at these pics takes me back into a nautical time warp from when I frequented these waters in my 22 Seafarer.

When you have time, I am still curious as to what you plan to do next with the boat, and what was your fuel burn at 228 MPH?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wahoo, very nice boat and truck combo. Just a question... In my search for the ultimate prop, Yamaha techs here want that WOT close to 6000 rpm's not between 5000 and 6000 rpms. So is the new 300 Yam rated a little different since your tech was happy with 5400-5500? I went from a 17p to a 15p just to get close to 6000 rpm's. Maybe should have kept the 17p as it appeared to give me better milage. Oh the black art of propping a boat. Cheers, trapper

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Trapper, let me preface by saying I don't know. Then I'll get in over my head anyway. The prop is a SWS II 15.25 x 17. I do recall that when we switched out from the original F250 to the newer F300, the 4.2 engines had a different gear reduction. I don't know how much that contributed to my dealer's recommendation, if at all. The recommended range is 5,000 - 6,000 rpm. However, I believe you are correct, most techs will say closer to 6,000 is better.

The F300 gets considerably better fuel economy that our previous F250 and with significantly better low to mid-range torque.

Grady tested the 258 with both the 15 and 17 props. My dealer gave me their test data to consider. According to my dealer, the 15" prop fits a more wide variety of situations, including folks who frequently run heavy or run fast or who pull tubes or skiers. So that became Grady's default prop. But we don't fit any of those uses and he knew that.

I just Googled it and you can still find Yamaha's add highlighting Grady's test data where they got 3.34 mpg on a 257 Advance. I'm sure they got that using the 17" prop. I'll paste the relevant portion of that add and the link. It is on page five of the following link:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboar...s/V-6 Offshore Hot Sheet FINAL FINAL (v2).pdf

BEST-IN-CLASS FUEL EFFICIENCY Yamaha’s 300hp V6 Offshore outboard has up to 17% better long-range fuel economy at 3500 rpm than other 300hp 4 stroke outboards. All air entering the engine block of each Yamaha V6 Offshore outboard is routed through a single 75mm electronically-controlled throttle valve. Working in concert with the Precision Multi-Point Fuel Injection System, together they help ensure the precise amount of air and fuel necessary for optimum power and fuel effi ciency. The reduction in friction from the Micro-Textured Cylinder Walls further adds to this outboard’s amazing fuel economy. FUEL EFFICIENCY* COMPARISON (3500 RPM) Yamaha F300 Mercury® Verado® 300 Suzuki® DF300 17% Better *Per Yamaha On-Water Testing (Grady White® 257 Advance) 3.34 MPG 2.84 MPG 2.32 MPG

The Yamaha tech who ran the boat with me said if this engine is getting better than 3 mpg with full fuel, it isn't lugging and is very happy.

As for the truck and trailer, they belong to the local guy who hauls my boat for these trips. The boat stays in an in/out boat shed. Since I usually only do one trip per year, it costs a lot less to pay his hauling costs than to own my own truck and trailer. Since I've been doing this for a while with him, he tries to give me a pretty good price.

Fishtales

Reaction score
This is a great recap. Few people take the time to do what you have done here. Looking at these pics takes me back into a nautical time warp from when I frequented these waters in my 22 Seafarer.

When you have time, I am still curious as to what you plan to do next with the boat, and what was your fuel burn at 228 MPH?
X2. Great summary and thanks for sharing....

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the appreciation. Its fun to do when I can.

Magical: I realize I didn't answer your question as to what's next. I've skipped over Lakes Huron and Michigan for when I have more time and, possibly, a bigger boat. I'll plan to do those two Great Lakes next summer.

So for now I have a big job cleaning this boat, getting all the 'cruising' stuff off and my fishing stuff back on. Time to start thinking about sailfish coming south with the first cool fronts!

Rob

Last edited:

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Wahoo for your understandable responce, I think you are fortunate to have a Yamaha tech who takes the time to get it right for you. Great trip! The best thing is, your are using and enjoying a beauty boat and motor. "Fun On" Cheers,

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Rob, for taking the time and effort to post this fantastic trip. I enjoyed it, as I know the others here did as well.
Looking forward to more of your posts and pics, and your next adventure.