Mixing Ringfree with Stabil

Mainegrady

Reaction score
I would like to "shock" my Yamahas with Ringfree with my first tank of the season. However, due to the new ethanol fuel, I also have added a maintenance dose of Stabil to the fuel as well.

Do these two additives work together? Are there any issues using both? Are they redundant and basically provide the same function?

Thanks in advance

uncljohn

Reaction score
they're not redundant and I use both on every fill-up. They work together fine.

Do you NEED to shock your engine w/ Ringfree? If you do, make sure you change out the spark plugs after the shock tank. They'll be all carb'd up.

seasick

Reaction score
uncljohn said:
they're not redundant and I use both on every fill-up. They work together fine.

Do you NEED to shock your engine w/ Ringfree? If you do, make sure you change out the spark plugs after the shock tank. They'll be all carb'd up.
I agree about not shocking if not needed. Too many stories about fouled injectors after shocking.

Mainegrady

Reaction score
The boat/motors are new to me, so I was just going to shock more or less as something to do before I put her in the water.

It sounds like its not something you want to do if you dont have to, especially with a fuel injected motor?

Barlow46

Reaction score
Mainegrady said:
The boat/motors are new to me, so I was just going to shock more or less as something to do before I put her in the water.

It sounds like its not something you want to do if you dont have to, especially with a fuel injected motor?

I saw this and just passing it along.

I finally got hooked up with the head of Yamaha lubes division(outboards, PWC's, motorcycles ect) and good some good information on E10 fuels and the new Yamaha Ring Free plus . If I am factually inaccurate with the chemical names or anything else, please feel free to correct. I tried to write it all down and go from memory, but Yamaha will have a new lubes catalog out shortly and I'll post that info on our site www.simyamaha.com when it becomes available.(shameless plug.......I know )

So......the new Ring Free is a blend of the previous Ring Free formula and all new additives to help protect the fuel system components from the corrosive effects of the sulfate salts that is in all ethanol. The "E" in E-10.

One of the most common problems associated with e-10 fuels is the effect the ethanol has on metallic fuel system components. These ethanol salts can over time eat away at metallic components on the boat(fuel tank and plumbing) and especially the metallic fuel system components on the engine. With Yamaha's that would be the vapor separator tank(EFI 4-strokes and 2-strokes), fuel pumps and carburetors. When you have this corrosion, that debris/material gets mixed in with the fuel and clogs filters, strainers, jets, inlet needles and injector screens. It also can eat away at aluminum like its lunch.

The new Ring Free plus additives are designed to coat the metallic parts so the salts in the ethanol can not attack or corrode them. Aluminum, steel, and the silver solder used on some engine fuel system parts will be "coated" and therefore will not corrode.

The new Ring Free plus does not have any effect on phase separation. Your fuel system "stabilizers" or long term storage additives (depending on brand) will have some effect on lengthening that time before it may happen.

Yamaha considers long term storage as anything longer then 3 months of time. If the boat will sit for 3 months not being used, treat the fuel accordingly.

Yamaha has tested extensively the RF plus,and has done so as well with all major brands of fuel additives.It is safe to use RF plus with them. Brands mentioned were both of the Sta-bil products, Star-tron, Mercury's and all of Yamaha's.

Yamaha's recommendation is to use the new Ring Free at the constant use rate of 1oz per 10 gallons of fuel.

Even though the RF plus container says to use Yamaha's combustion cleaner in lieu of a shock treatment for carbon removal, I was told if desired the new blend of Ring Free can be used as a shock treatment in the same fashion as the old blend of Ring Free. I was told that shock treatment ratio was removed from the bottle because owners were treating 200 gallon fuel tanks with that rich blend(figuratively and cost wise) of Ring Free, when they didn't really have to. So instead of mentioning how to run the engine on a 5 gallon portable can, they removed it all together from the instructions on the bottles.

Fuel storage stabilizers. The new Yamaha fuel stabilizer has been changed. The isopropyl alcohol was removed, it was reformulated and additionally has the same blend of "coating" chemicals that the Ring Free plus has.

I was told that optimally one would use Ring Free plus and the Yamaha fuel conditioner/stabilizer continually. The benefit to that would be to lengthen the time before phase separation. But at a minimum ,Yamaha recommended Ring Free plus continually at the 1oz of Ring Free plus per 10 gallons of fuel ratio.

Post any questions you have. If I don't know the answer, I will find out, and post back.

Andy
1-800-213-3323 parts@shipyardisland.com[/quote]