Modifying Bow Pulpit

Finatic

Reaction score
So when I bought my 2000 Gulfstream 5 years ago the only option missing that I really would have like was a bow pulpit. I called my local Grady dealer and was quoted approximately $1500 for a bow pulpit kit and I just couldn't justify the cost. A few years ago I picked up a bow pulpit and railing that came off a Grady 247 Strike with the hopes that it would be a perfect match. Things just never work out that easy. I finally got around to making some modifications in order to get this pulpit on my Gulfstream. Basically, I had to cut off about 5" from the back and shave out a little from the underside. Now I need to close up the openings and I am wondering if I should use fiberglass mating and resin or are their better options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
Finatic said:
So when I bought my 2000 Gulfstream 5 years ago the only option missing that I really would have like was a bow pulpit. I called my local Grady dealer and was quoted approximately $1500 for a bow pulpit kit and I just couldn't justify the cost. A few years ago I picked up a bow pulpit and railing that came off a Grady 247 Strike with the hopes that it would be a perfect match. Things just never work out that easy. I finally got around to making some modifications in order to get this pulpit on my Gulfstream. Basically, I had to cut off about 5" from the back and shave out a little from the underside. Now I need to close up the openings and I am wondering if I should use fiberglass mating and resin or are their better options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you exposed the fiberglass when you trimmed the unit, you will have to seal those exposed edges. Fiberglass epoxy resin is the ticket. Since you will have to get resin, it can be used for the openings. Glass mat will be needed if the openings are any bigger than just a small hols (up to a quarter size or so). When using glass mat you should grind/taper the edges of the opening to give a decent surface area for the mat to adhere to. You may want to use a chopped/strand mat type of glass for the initial layers and finish with regulat mat.You will need to back block the opening too. A piece of thin plywood or cardboard will do, just add a piece of wax paper or plastic to keep the resin from sticking to the glass. You could as another option, add a patch to the back, resin it on and let it set up. Then fill in from the front side. If the holes are small, mixing a filler such as Cabosil to the resin will make a paste that can be used.
Whatever route you take, it is critical that all exposed fiberglass fibers be well sealed. If you leave the edges exposes, the pulpit will delaminate over time.
Good luck

Finatic

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking to do but I've never worked with fiberglass. Does anyone know how to upload pics? I'd like to put a pic or 2 up of what I've done and maybe I can get some more advice. :)

seasick

Reaction score
Finatic said:
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking to do but I've never worked with fiberglass. Does anyone know how to upload pics? I'd like to put a pic or 2 up of what I've done and maybe I can get some more advice. :)
Search UTube for fiberglass repairs. There are lots of decent videos. Also look at West Systems web site.