Moisture meters and surveyors

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Curious of owners experiences either getting surveys with areas of elevated moisture readings in the transom around scuppers or having a sale canceled because of them? Modern day ( Last 10 Years) Grady transoms with wood are so overbuilt I would think they are probably 25 to 30 year transoms regardless of a little moisture? Maybe more?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen the meters used on several boats in my marina and they always seem to indicate wet areas. So much that I question how good they actually are. I'm sure if you get the right equipment it will be more accurate though. I think all boats with coring material have some moisture in them after many seasons in the water.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

seasick

Reaction score
I've seen the meters used on several boats in my marina and they always seem to indicate wet areas. So much that I question how good they actually are. I'm sure if you get the right equipment it will be more accurate though. I think all boats with coring material have some moisture in them after many seasons in the water.

The absolute numbers are not nearly as important as are the relative numbers from as many areas as practical
General purpose moisture meters not specifically intended for FRP can give misleading readings.
Empty space like when the core is completely rotted away will give perfectly OK readings. So will frozen water:)
General purpose meters typically don't read deep enough for FRP.
If you haul a boat that has been in the water for a while, wipe it down and measure you will probably read high moisture levels. Hulls need to dry out for a while. Likewise hulls that have been on the hard for long periods and in dry conditions may read low moisture levels even though they have moisture issues.
When possible you can get much better info by scanning from the inside surface of a hull in addition to the outside.
Many bottom paints will skew readings. A good surveyor will either not read through bottom paint or will sand off the paint in small spots for testing.
If a survey does not reveal any areas of marginal or excessive moisture, the meter needs new batteries:)

Most importantly, the interpretation and accuracy of the moisture survey is only as good as the skills of the surveyor and that person's experience with the same hulls and manufacturers.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Before I purchased my current boat, I had a surveyor go out and inspect a different 228 Seafarer for me, I believe it was a 2002 or 2003. The surveyor sent me like 100 pictures of the moisture readings, issues with the boat, damage to the boat and so on, which of course the seller played dumb to or didn't mention before. With that particular boat, the two areas with the most amount of water intrusion were the bow cleats as well as back near the stern. The surveyor mentioned that the boat had probably been stored in the water for a good deal of its life. I ended up passing on that boat, not because of the moisture levels, but because there was damage back near the transom of the boat that the seller didn't mention before the surveyor went out to look at it. Between that, the seller's asking price being too high for the condition that it was in as well as a few other things, I ended up passing on that boat altogether. I think like Fishtales mentioned that most all boats will have some amount of moisture reading on the reader, I think a lot of it just depends on how much and where they are located at. Fortunately my new boat is solid and even though I was pissed at the time that I spent $600+ on a survey where I didn't end up buying the boat, I'm very much glad that I waited for the one I purchased. The one I bought is newer, nicer and most importantly it was almost $10k cheaper. Are you looking at possibly purchasing another boat or just wondering? I know you can buy the moisture readers on Amazon or just about anywhere else... a cheap one starts at around $10 but a nice one is more like $40 on all the way up to several hundred dollars. I'm sure they're definitely worth their value though if you're considering purchasing another boat though, and a decent one at around $35-40 seems like it's definitely worth the investment.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Thanks for the replies. PM me if you want to know who to avoid for a survey

seasick

Reaction score
Marine specific moisture meters will cost $400 and up. I have never seen or read about an inexpensive marine moisture meter. The new Tramex Skipper 5 runs about $600.The older model is about $100 less last time I looked One good feature is that the depth of penetration has two ranges, the deepest being about 1 1/4 inch. That is pretty deep as far as moisture meters go but many transoms may be 2 1/2 or more inches thick. That is why is is helpful to read levels from the front and back surfaces if possible.

Using a general purpose pinless moisture meter can give very misleading results.
A good surveyor will not only use a marine grade instrument but should also include in their report the model of the meter used, the weather and hull condition on the day of the test and data for the readings, readings and location.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Marine specific moisture meters will cost $400 and up. I have never seen or read about an inexpensive marine moisture meter. The new Tramex Skipper 5 runs about $600.The older model is about $100 less last time I looked One good feature is that the depth of penetration has two ranges, the deepest being about 1 1/4 inch. That is pretty deep as far as moisture meters go but many transoms may be 2 1/2 or more inches thick. That is why is is helpful to read levels from the front and back surfaces if possible.

Using a general purpose pinless moisture meter can give very misleading results.
A good surveyor will not only use a marine grade instrument but should also include in their report the model of the meter used, the weather and hull condition on the day of the test and data for the readings, readings and location.
$195 for a marine fiberglass pinless moisture meter. As stated above, the general purpose ones range from $10 on up, depending on brand and quality.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the replies. PM me if you want to know who to avoid for a survey
I'm sure you're well aware of this but when purchasing my boats in the past and using a marine surveyor I would go to either of the two attached websites to search for surveyors that way. I'd then double check them on Google and see what kind of reviews they have to make sure I'm getting a decent surveyor and my money's worth. I don't know about how others feel, but I'm personally of the opinion that as long as you're not completely bashing the surveyor and giving an honest evaluation of them, I'm not sure why you can't mention on here as to why you'd avoid them. But that's completely up to you and your comfort level. I generally like to give a shoutout to people who I feel do a good or great job, and conversely those that I'd avoid... especially for those who are in the same boat (drumroll) and looking for someone to hire for their next purchase.

seasick

Reaction score
1/4" drill bit....cheap... :p
You have a point:)

The Electrophysics Grp33plus looks a lot like the Rayplex unit which runs under $300 on Amazon. I have no experience with either model but did considered an Electrophysics model several years ago and I am pretty sure it was not priced as low as the new Grp33plus. If anyone has hands on experience with either brand, please post your thoughts.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The late David P. surveyed a Boston Whaler for me in Fla. When the yard manager heard I hired him, he said "you'll never buy the boat". I learned a lot. We found a spot that was previously drilled on the transom. They may never sink, but the hull can hold a lot of water. He opened it up and the boat leaked for what felt like hours (prob 5 min) and then slowed down. Did the same to check the lower unit oil. One was fine, the other was milky. He sealed it back up and recommended I keep looking....