mold/mildew in cabin

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've spent some time on my Gulfstream working on my hydraulic steering problem and have become aware of how much mold/mildew has grown in the cabin this very warm winter. I'm seeing lots of it on the monkey fur all over the cabin as well as a few places on the fiberglass. Has anyone found anything that works really well at removing/killing the mold/mildew in the monkey fur?
Thanks.
Gary 03 Gulfstream

Bryan3536

Reaction score
Grady recommends straight vinegar on their maintenance page. Bleach works but can damage/discolor glass. Going to try it this weekend.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2 parts white vinegar
2 parts water
1 part lemon juice

All by volume, you'll be surprised. This is good to clean up mold and to prevent it from coming back.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Look into Spray 9 also. It will also reduce chances of regrowth of mold/mildew and bacteria. It is hands down the best I have found.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Sprays and what not do things to remove mold and mildew.

I use a small dehumidifier to prevent mold and mildew.

If you have AC power on the boat, you might look into this. They cost about $90.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, guys and I'm sorry for not responding sooner. Bunch of things stealing my time. I finally made time yesterday to treat the mold/mildew with straight white vinegar. The mold was so heavy I was afraid to dilute and I didn't have any lemon juice to add to it so straight it was. I started with a spray bottle but that grew old quickly so switched to my garden sprayer. Much better and I was able to get the tip in lots of places I otherwise could not have reached. I used over a gallon and still have to do the bilge areas which I will do later today.

I also determined the source of the moisture is the side windows in the cabin. They are leaking on both sides in the forward-most corners. A look outside revealed lots of silicone caulk so apparently not a new problem. I've seen tons of posts on leaking windowns so will do some research on possible fixes.

Thanks again.
Gary 93 Gulfstream w/ twin Suzi 140's

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I use that mold spray from West Marine and it works great. I also invested in a good quality boat cover (boat cover direct) instead of the shrink wrap stuff which traps moisture. I also use the spray every now and then on the top side when I notice a bit of mold. I spray it before I hose off the boat.