Mold/Mildew in my A/Cs condenser!

Gary M

Reaction score
I noticed that the air conditioning was not blowing as cold as normal so I took the metal filter out of in front of the condensor on my 2001 Marlin to find the tiny, thin metal vanes pretty clogged up with mold/mildew.

What is the best way to clean this out?

Also, my Grady dealer does not sell new metal condensor filters. Any ideas on getting a new one of those?

Thanks in advance!

Gary M

Reaction score
After running the AC for 2 days, the mold/mildew issue seems to have cleared up but the condensor still has a lot dust, dirt, etc in it. I have tried to gently vacuum that out but is there a better way to clean that up nicely?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just as a point of info, I believe you are referring to the evaporator since the condenser is water cooled; coil of tube inside of tube, probably copper and painted black - and where water hose in/out connects.

For black milder use a product compatible with metals, then rinse off with water.
For dust, try adding a foam type window A/C filter in front of the evaporator, cut to size, can use velcro (loop half only) on edge will hold the foam in place.

I've had success with spray bottle clorox cleanup on mold and not attacking anything else in the process. The ZEP stuff in home depot took the chrome right off chrome-on-bronze hardware.

Gary M

Reaction score
Yes, the tight finned evaporator..... sorry.

The metal filter is falling apart and my be the source of all the crap getting in. I thought about cutting up a home AC filter to fit as the Grady dealer does not carry this item. Any potential problems to using that type of filter?

To clean the Evap, I'd like to try a mild bleach solution sprayed on after a careful vacuuming of it. After a complete dry of the light bleach spray, another vacuum. Sound "safe"?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gary M, no problem buddy!

I would say get the number off the internet for Mermaid Marine and call them - they are in FLA. Just say one of your buddies who blogs on GreatGrady.com with thousands of posts recommended to call and he has an M6. Email them a copy of this post or link to it.
And ask about the cleaner and mildew, in general, for the evaporator. I'm not sure since the motor and it's shroud is up against the back side of the evaporator and we are dealing with copper and aluminum. Window A/Cs have more room between motor and evaporator.

Suggest your own mix. Rinse throughly afterwards but don't spray into the motor with force, perhaps a spray bottle of water. I don't know how well the motor is sealed.
I have the same filter that came on the Mermaid M6, it's very thin dark grey foam stuff, no metal. A bit of Velcro loop on A/C. Not much is needed since when fan is running, filter gets sucked against evaporator face. Can't move off. I presume your fan is on suction side pulling return air through it. Then filter has to be on other side.

Mermaid Marine took care of me, a DIYer - when after I bought the M6 and had questions. I did installation myself.
Excellent product, and manuals too.

swampratt

Reaction score
they make a spray can with self rinsing coil cleaner that does a nice job of cleaning and not hurting anything with unit off start at bottom of coil and work way to top of coil you will be suprised to see what the foam brings out