mooring lines

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We are going to slip the boat this year and I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb for figuring out how long to make the lines?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If this is what you're asking, here's what I do.
I'm in a well protected marina. No need for me to over do it.

The Spring line off my starboard stern cleat is looped on both ends and sized to keep my skeg from hitting the main dock. I use one stern line to the main dock off my port side. Some people use two (port and starboard) and cross them over the engine but I see alot of chaffing and that's no good. Buy some extra fenders and mount them permanently to the slip where you won't be rubbing and ruining your graphics. That way, you can use the ones on your boat to ''fend off" the boat next to you in case you get into trouble.

Picture1.png.jpg

Blackbird

Reaction score
Mouring lines

When I keep my boat in a wet slip, I use 8 lines, 2 bow, 2 stern and fore and aft spring lines on both sides. They should be as long as possible to account for tidal changes and/or wave action. If bad weather is coming, I'll double up. I've never heard bad stories about using too many lines. Can't say the same about using too few.

Hope this helps

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I am moving into a new marina this season, what I'll do is look at the other boat's ,, talk to the guy's that have been tied up there a couple season's ... I'm sure you'll get more than enough advise ! ..... Good Luck !