Mooring whip locations

Drifter80

Reaction score
I am going to install some mooring whips on my seawall. I am fairly confused by the limited instructions that came with them. Do I mount the whips for the aft and spring line cleats or do I mount them for aft and bow?

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had them mounted on my dock for a 22' Pursuit, in a canal that got moderate traffic with most boaters being considerate.

I mounted one for the stern cleat and the other for the bow cleat. Both of them were set up to attach to the cleats furthest from the dock & tightened down to put as much outward pressure from the whips. In the 5 years I used them, I never had a problem where the boat was banging on the dock. As a precaution I installed rubber bumper strips mounted on the pilings. Wind didn't seem to affect the positioning of the boat as much as large wake coming off large sportfish if they were going too fast.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Jeff, mount them so the bases line up with your bow and stern cleats. In other words if let say the distance from the center of your bow cleat to the center of tour stern cleat is 200 inches. You would mount the center of each mooring whip at 200 inches.

Make sure you use heavy duty hardware and decent sized framing for the bases. I've seen a few sets of mooring whips come loose after a decent storm due to rotted boards and inadequate hardware.