More 265 Express questions

SeaVee

Reaction score
Still figuring out this boat, and got a couple newbie questions. It is a 2001. My switch in the Head doesn’t look like it’s getting any power, I get nothing when I push those buttons. Apparently my tank is full because I noticed a little seeping out of the vent, so I guess I need to pump it out. This is my first boat with a head . A little more complicated than my 5 gallon bucket years. I guess I could go out to international waters and dump it out there.
So, if that little vent under my fuel fill caps is my head vent, where is my fuel overfill vent , Or does this boat not have one ?
Lastly, do any of you 265 owners have a Cockpit cover, trying to keep the sun off the cockpit and the gunnels
Thanks!
SeaVee

DSC

Reaction score
I didn’t know there was such a thing as an overflow vent for the head. When my tank is full it backs up into the head itself.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Nothing happens when you push the button or you've put a meter on it and there's no power coming to the switch? Similar circumstance on mine, in my case the panel had gone bad, had power at the connections but no indications. Those in tank macerators are also notorious for freezing up from non-use so it wouldn't be a surprise that you don't hear anything as well as not seeing anything. If no power then it's back to chasing the electrical gremlins. There is a fuse, on mine it's located in the fuse block behind the head access panel above and inboard of the head itself. If you're going to be in waters where you can legally discharge often enough to warrant the work there's a nice thread by Max366 (http://greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13306&sid=c44ef6258b319387694468b0e288670e) on an external macerator plumbing upgrade - which I shamelessly copied a couple seasons back, otherwise I would have just kept on using the pump out at my marina.

seasick

Reaction score
That is because the vent is higher than the head probably. The water will find the lowest level

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Your gas caps are vented. The vent line will overflow inside the fill (preventing spills). there are no fuel vent fittings.

Can't help you with the head. My macerator doesn't work and the control panel is disconnected. I can't see spending money on that at this point.
I try to keep the use of the head to a minimum but I have learned the ways of the pump-out.... pretty simple and most gas docks have them.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Thanks fellas- stupid question since I am right at the oceanfront, what’s the process to discharge legally at sea? Just open the sea cocks and pump the toilet handle? I can get out 10 miles pretty quick.
Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
it is most probably not configured for direct overboard unless the po changed things.
it goes in the tank and then the macerator grinds its and pumps it out.
pumping the toilet just fills the tank more....
If your tank is full and your pump is broke you need to go to a gas dock and ask to pump out.

You will start to notice these white stations with hoses and a button. They are pretty common now, at least in NJ. I think its a law now.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have had a couple if issues with the macerator pump out. First one was just a fuse, my Sailfish block is located under the helm station. The second was the switch on the cabin wall. I confirmed it was a switch by just touching the two wire going to the switch and the pump started to run. I had a spare accessory switch on the helm panel and just rerouted the wires onto that switch.
1565184334647.png

FraJul

Reaction score
I have had same problem in the past. Not being an electrician I called GROCO and spoke with a tech. They were very helpful and with a simple volt meter I was (with there guidance) to diagnose the problem to a bad wall switch. They had me mail them the switch to verify the mailed a new one to me within a few days. I want to say it was about $150.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Looks like no power to the panel for the pump, I can see fuses in the panel under the dash, can’t figure out which ones for the pump.
Stupid question #874; any other way to pump this out if my pump is bad? Do the marina pump out devices suck it out or do I have to rely on my macerator pump?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The pump out will suck it out with or without a working macerator. The fuse is a 25 amp under the helm (on a Sailfish). I ran my tank dry one time be forgetting to close the discharge valve and running at high speed. Don't leave the discharge valve open in a no discharge zone or you could be cited if stopped and inspected by LE.

seasick

Reaction score
The pump out will suck it out with or without a working macerator. The fuse is a 25 amp under the helm (on a Sailfish). I ran my tank dry one time be forgetting to close the discharge valve and running at high speed. Don't leave the discharge valve open in a no discharge zone or you could be cited if stopped and inspected by LE.

I believe that the valve has to have a lock or another secure system to keep it in 'pump out' mode. I am told that a tie wrap is acceptable but I use a physical lock.

Remember that if you have a Y valve to select pump out or discharge, that valve has to be in the pump out position for the pump out to work. If you are not familiar with your valve, do a little research. The correct position of the handle on the Y valve is sometimes non intuitive. I mention that because it will be obvious it is in the wrong position when you try to pump out at the dock station but if you get boarded and inspected and the valve is in the wrong position even if it has a lock on it, you could be fined.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I believe that the valve has to have a lock or another secure system to keep it in 'pump out' mode. I am told that a tie wrap is acceptable but I use a physical lock.

I use wire ties and have been inspected a couple of times and was told they are acceptable
Curious, how do you lock it?

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I don't lock the y-valve but I do leave the seacock for the overboard discharge in the closed position with the handle removed, it's in a zip-loc with the macerator fuse and kept in a drawer. Have not been checked by an active Coast Guard unit yet but I do invite the Coast Guard Auxiliary onboard at the beginning of every year to conduct their complimentary safety inspection and that solution has always been deemed sufficient.

Reaction score
side bar
I was boarded by the CG in MD they did not give my CG Aux sticker from a month earlier much respect to the point I don't think it is worth the 30 min every June to continue to get the "sticker". Once boarded you get the yellow receipt which seems to be good for the year. (for a regular check) They will always approach and board from Port side. they ask if you have aaalready been boarded this season, went through the checklist 10 min max as the tide took us along. No questions about head

FraJul

Reaction score
The fuse is hard to access and see. On the wall in the head there should be an access for the fuse, I just kept pulling them til I found the blown one