Motor Advise

Grady 1968

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
99 suzuki DT200G 880 hrs or 08 Honda BF225 1700 hrs both certified tested by Dealer. Want to use on lake michigan for trolling as well.

seasick

Reaction score
Prices would help but in general, a lot depends on how the motor was treated not how many hours. I don't know what certified tested means, perhaps it means nothing. A warranty of some kind would be an advantage although it would probably be limited in scope and duration.
The Honda data can be dumper using the diagnostic tool. That report would be useful to see how hard the motor was run. I don't know if the Zuke has that option.
All things being equal ( as best they can) I would choose the newer motor but that motor may be susceptible to the exhaust stack corrosion issue and would need to be inspected at a minimum. The good news is that the problem with the corrosion is much less after 2007 but right now you probably don't know when that 2008 motor was actually manufactured.

Grady 1968

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Prices would help but in general, a lot depends on how the motor was treated not how many hours. I don't know what certified tested means, perhaps it means nothing. A warranty of some kind would be an advantage although it would probably be limited in scope and duration.
The Honda data can be dumper using the diagnostic tool. That report would be useful to see how hard the motor was run. I don't know if the Zuke has that option.
All things being equal ( as best they can) I would choose the newer motor but that motor may be susceptible to the exhaust stack corrosion issue and would need to be inspected at a minimum. The good news is that the problem with the corrosion is much less after 2007 but right now you probably don't know when that 2008 motor was actually manufactured.
Thanks I Plan on putting twin honda 225 on my 252 SailFish.