Motor Bracket

bayson

Reaction score
I have an '05 Gulfstream that I'm replacing my 225 Yamaha with a new 300 Suzuki. I noticed some peeling on the bracket and thought it was painted. Got a call that there was water inside the bracket. This is a Gill bracket put on by Grady when new from the factory. The shop said they will take it off and have some repair work done and re powder coat. Seems like a good option compared to trying to find a replacement.
Anyone else have this problem?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have an '05 Gulfstream that I'm replacing my 225 Yamaha with a new 300 Suzuki. I noticed some peeling on the bracket and thought it was painted. Got a call that there was water inside the bracket. This is a Gill bracket put on by Grady when new from the factory. The shop said they will take it off and have some repair work done and re powder coat. Seems like a good option compared to trying to find a replacement.
Anyone else have this problem?
I would go with paint vs powder coating if you have the option. My bracket wasn't recommended by Grady to hang a more powerful, heavier Zuke 300. They recommend I displace the force over a larger area so I went with one with an integrated swim platform. Your boat is a much newer model and should be fine.

If/when your powder coat bubbles somewhere make sure you clean the area and seal it.

bayson

Reaction score
I would go with paint vs powder coating if you have the option. My bracket wasn't recommended by Grady to hang a more powerful, heavier Zuke 300. They recommend I displace the force over a larger area so I went with one with an integrated swim platform. Your boat is a much newer model and should be fine.

If/when your powder coat bubbles somewhere make sure you clean the area and seal it.
The bracket is in good shape. Having it sandblasted, pretreat and painted. It will be better than new. The problem was it wasn't sealed by Grady, just sealed around the bolts and caulked on the outside.

I was wondering about foam filling the inside?

bayson

Reaction score
The motor weigh is not much different between the 225 and 300, but much more power. Going to be a great boating year on the Chesapeake Bay!