Motor help !!!

Outer Sanctum

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 23 gulfstream. 1999.
I have a 250 saltwater series ox66 hanging off a sea arm motor extension bracket.
Long story short I blew motor 2 years ago and had it rebuilt ($5500). Labor Day weekend of this year I blew out a ring and destroyed a piston .... I’m not wanting to put another $6000 into a rebuild of an 18 year old motor .......
It is a 30” shaft motor and a 2 stroke ...... what should I report with ????
I’m looking at a 250 yamaha 4 stroke with 400 hours but it’s a 25” shaft.
My current motor hangs way low... when it’s on the trailer and I trim it straight down the skag touches the ground ???

What to do ??? Thanks mike

Outer Sanctum

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Here she is

Attachments

• 23FC2AAF-B58C-4E46-95EA-DD5625295733.jpeg
    23FC2AAF-B58C-4E46-95EA-DD5625295733.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 21

ElMar

Reaction score
Where is the anti vent place in relation to the hull bottom? General rule of thumb is one 1” up for every foot of setback.

Get out a long straight edge and a ruler and measure it up.

I vote ETec for repower.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Where the skeg is when on the trailer means nothing. Some trailers sit higher than others. As mentioned above, the key factor is where the anti ventilation plate is in regards to the keel. More specifically, when running on plane, the plate should be just barely skimming across the water. Obviously, you can't do that given the state of the motor. So, second best is to measure like mentioned.

Reactions: Outer Sanctum

Outer Sanctum

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The plate is even up with the bottom of the boat ...? It is no way close to the surface when it’s running. 100 gallons of fuel and equipment. ?? This baby isn’t a bass boat. It takes 100 yards to get up on plane. And even then the splash or water to haul is about mid boat when on plane. Any engine will displace water around the prop area. Just from the push of water upwards creating the rooster tail ??

ElMar

Reaction score
Sounds like it’s mounted too low.

Probably lugging the motor that is why the power heads don’t last. Or injesting water somehow.

Outer Sanctum

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I can’t upload images. But it sits 30” back from the transom And the water line is just below the slit for the exhaust below the cowling

Outer Sanctum

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I blew the first power head cause the oil injector went out and the alarm failed. This time it was a clogged injector and the piston didn’t get enough gas and fried ..........

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a 96 Gulfstream with the F250 Yam, 25" shaft. It is a great set up. Get a 15.8X15 Quicksilver propeller from prop gods. You'll be happy.

seasick

Reaction score
I blew the first power head cause the oil injector went out and the alarm failed. This time it was a clogged injector and the piston didn’t get enough gas and fried ..........

If the oil pump failed, no alarm goes off. It's one of the shortcomings of the Yamis

artodea

Reaction score
30" shaft is too long on the bracketed Gulfstream. The 25" motor you're looking at is a perfect fit.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I agree totally with the advice above.
Running your boat with the motor set too low is putting undue stress on your motor and lower unit and killing your gas mileage.

If you want your motor to last, you need to move it up higher so that the cav plates are just below the waters' surface when the boat is running on plane....even though it's "not a Bass Boat".