motor life

seabum

Reaction score
I have a 1998 208 aven. with a 175 yamaha. I've been thinking about repower. I was just at O.C. boat show and a number of dealers said maybe I should just run my 175 a few more years. I am just trying to get an idea how long my motor will remain dependable. I just woundering if anyone had any thoughts?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It really depends on how many hours the engine has on it, how well it was maintained, and how the boat is ran, if it is run at a cruise or low speed vs high speeds will all effect the over all life of the engine. Most engines these days get over 1000hours before a rebuild, and many are closer to 1500, there are always those that require it sooner as well. It really comes down to how much you want to put into that boat. Are you going to keep it a while, upgrade/sell? If you are not going to keep it long, do not repower, you never get back what you invest into it. If you are planning to keep it a while, it depends on how happy you are with the engine package. IMHO, I would run the engine until you did not feel safe with its reliability, or until you could financially justify repowering.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Our 1995 175 Yamaha has just under 1500 hours on it and still runs like a top (knock on wood). We always run Ring-Free and Yamalube in it, and get it serviced every year. Last compression check done was about 1100 hours and all cylinders were still at brand new specs. I would agree with gradyfish and the dealers at the boat show.... as long as it's running well, keep using it.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I just had my 1995 200 hp Yamaha with 1,300 hours check out by my GW dealer on trade in and was told the engine was at specification and very strong. The equation was that it never spent a night with salt water in it, always had ring free, used Yamalube products and was maintained according to the Yamaha shop service manual. By the way in 12 seasons and over 1,300 hours the engine never once gave me a problem or pause about trusting it.

If the compression is good, the engine runs smoothly, you know how it was maintained and it does not have corrosion, keep running it.

seabum

Reaction score
It sounds like keeping it a few more seasons may not be a bad idea. Thanks for the replys!