Motor question?

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We are using our new boat quite a bit. The boat has a 2003 Mercury Optimax 135, Saltwater series. When I fill the oil reservoir do I have to always remove the cowling and prime the small oil tank on the motor? Twice now the no oil alarm has gone off. We immediately stopped the boat and I primed it.

freddy063

Reaction score
I have Yamaha's but I would think your motors work the same way. The main oil tank feeds the smaller motor tank and there is no need to add oil to the small tank unless the pump on the main tank is bad and not feedin the small motor tank. There should be a filter that might need changing but are you sure it's a oil alarm and not something eles?

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The motor runs fine. The only time I have an issue is when I fill the reserve tank. I think the pump may be losing a prime. I can fill the reserve and run with no problems. I don't fill the small tank on the side of the motor I remove the cap and it fills from the reservoir. I am guessing I just have to prime it whenever I remove the cap from the reservoir. Thanks