Motor Refit Suggestions for 19 Tournament

t

Reaction score
I am about to repower a 1990 19 Tournament. It currently has a 200 saltwater Yamaha 2 stroke. Any suggestions on a new motor? I am not married to the Yamaha brand. I am currently replacing the transom and electrical. Has anyone recently rigged a older 19?

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Re-powered my 2001 Tournament with a 140 Tohatsu 4 stroke. Not sure that would give you the top speed you're looking for coming from a 200 (I had a 150 Yami 2 stroke on mine)... but you'll sure save a lot of weight off the transom and off the scuppers. The Tohatsu weighs about 100 lbs less than what my old 150 Yami weighed and I'm sure it would save you even more over a 200. When I checked with Grady they strongly recommended going with as light a weight as possible so the Tohatsu became my choice (over the 150 Honda that I was considering). I'm very happy with the performance of the new motor... hole shot is excellent, gets right up on plane better than my 150 did. And top speed is around 38mph with an aluminum prop (I got a few mph better with my 150 and a ss prop but the 38 is plenty fast for me).

t

Reaction score
Weight is certainly a concern. It already rides low with the scuppers below the waterline with a full tank. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: MashpeeMan

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Per Google, your current Yamaha 200 hp saltwater series outboard weighs 412 lbs dry, of which the Suzuki 140 hp outboard is only 411 lbs for the 20" shaft version and only 419 lbs for the 25" shaft version. So, depending on which length you need, it's actually a pound less than what you've already got, or 7 lbs more depending. A buddy of mine has one on his 20' Wooldridge aluminum boat and he absolutely loves it. If looking for a similar weight to what you've got and without losing too much horsepower, that's the route I'd go.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am about to repower a 1990 19 Tournament. It currently has a 200 saltwater Yamaha 2 stroke. Any suggestions on a new motor? I am not married to the Yamaha brand. I am currently replacing the transom and electrical. Has anyone recently rigged a older 19?
That seems like a lot of engine for that boat. My mother has a 2000 19 Tournament with a 150HP on it and it is plenty fast. It comes out of the hole very easily... VERY easily. I'm all for a bigger engine - but I think that's overkill. Do you feel you NEED 200HP?

As far as brands go... I really think they're all good. You won't go wrong with whatever you choose. I would suggest getting something that also allows you to have easy/quick access to a local service department and parts.

t

Reaction score
Per Google, your current Yamaha 200 hp saltwater series outboard weighs 412 lbs dry, of which the Suzuki 140 hp outboard is only 411 lbs for the 20" shaft version and only 419 lbs for the 25" shaft version. So, depending on which length you need, it's actually a pound less than what you've already got, or 7 lbs more depending. A buddy of mine has one on his 20' Wooldridge aluminum boat and he absolutely loves it. If looking for a similar weight to what you've got and without losing too much horsepower, that's the route I'd go.
Thanks for the info. This motor has been a good one but think it’s time to switch. It has gotten difficult to find a tec to work on a “classic” motor.

t

Reaction score
That seems like a lot of engine for that boat. My mother has a 2000 19 Tournament with a 150HP on it and it is plenty fast. It comes out of the hole very easily... VERY easily. I'm all for a bigger engine - but I think that's overkill. Do you feel you NEED 200HP?

As far as brands go... I really think they're all good. You won't go wrong with whatever you choose. I would suggest getting something that also allows you to have easy/quick access to a local service department and parts.
I bought the boat used several years ago and it has been virtually maintenance free. Downsizing may be a good option especially with weight and scuppers being an issue. Will also look at who is established and can service. Thanks

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
These are the weights I'm seeing for the 200HP Yamaha: 240 kg (529 lbs) - 257 kg (567 lbs).

The Tohatsu 140 is only 392 pounds (lighter than the other options I researched including the Suzuki). And after talking with the Grady rep. who said, "go with the lightest weight possible on that transom" it seemed to be a great option. After running it now through the break-in I'd have to agree that the lighter weight is absolutely the way to go.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
These are the weights I'm seeing for the 200HP Yamaha: 240 kg (529 lbs) - 257 kg (567 lbs).

The Tohatsu 140 is only 392 pounds (lighter than the other options I researched including the Suzuki). And after talking with the Grady rep. who said, "go with the lightest weight possible on that transom" it seemed to be a great option. After running it now through the break-in I'd have to agree that the lighter weight is absolutely the way to go.
That 392 lb figure is also for the 20" shaft version of the Tohatsu, which I imagine the 25" version is probably 10-20 lbs heavier. Long story short, the weight difference between the two is pretty negligible, even if it was actually 30 lbs difference, that's next to nothing.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
That 392 lb figure is also for the 20" shaft version of the Tohatsu, which I imagine the 25" version is probably 10-20 lbs heavier. Long story short, the weight difference between the two is pretty negligible, even if it was actually 30 lbs difference, that's next to nothing.
Good point... although the Grady rep. was pretty adamant about saving as much weight as possible. Apparently they made some changes with weight distribution a few years later (mid 2000's) which helped the scupper issue somewhat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good point... although the Grady rep. was pretty adamant about saving as much weight as possible. Apparently they made some changes with weight distribution a few years later (mid 2000's) which helped the scupper issue somewhat.
I think if we were talking about a difference of 100+ lbs then yes, definitely go with the lighter motor or at least give it a very serious consideration. Though, if we're only talking about 10 or maybe even 20 lbs at the most, then I say buy which one you're most comfortable with. Things like having a good/great local dealer, warranty and especially pricing would make me more inclined to go with one or the other as opposed to just the weight issue alone. I'm not sure where the OP is located at, of which I always recommend that people put their location in their profile because it helps us out tremendously for recommendations such as this. But the only one located within 50 miles or so of my location is from a place that I've never even heard of before, and I'm in a pretty populated area. If the OP is in a rather remote area then it might be a struggle to find a good dealer, or even find one at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: MashpeeMan

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have some inquiries regarding the UK49s Lottery. In this thread, I am addressing these inquiries. The following questions are listed:

1. What is the UK49s lottery?
2. How do I play the UK49s lottery?
3. When and where does the UK49s draw take place?
4. What are the different betting options in the UK49s results lottery?
5. What are the prize divisions in the UK49s lottery?
6. How are the UK49s lottery numbers drawn?
7. Can I play the UK49s lottery online?
8. What are the odds of winning the UK49s lottery?

Tell me below if you know anything about the UK49s Lottery. I'm totally perplexed.
Reported spam...

t

Reaction score
I think if we were talking about a difference of 100+ lbs then yes, definitely go with the lighter motor or at least give it a very serious consideration. Though, if we're only talking about 10 or maybe even 20 lbs at the most, then I say buy which one you're most comfortable with. Things like having a good/great local dealer, warranty and especially pricing would make me more inclined to go with one or the other as opposed to just the weight issue alone. I'm not sure where the OP is located at, of which I always recommend that people put their location in their profile because it helps us out tremendously for recommendations such as this. But the only one located within 50 miles or so of my location is from a place that I've never even heard of before, and I'm in a pretty populated area. If the OP is in a rather remote area then it might be a struggle to find a good dealer, or even find one at all.
Thanks for all the suggestions. As I am getting into this refit we discovered the transom is going to need replacing. So this just got a little more involved. This is a 1990 hull so now I just need to decide how far to take this project. The boat is in South Carolina and currently at a restoration/ fiberglass shop awaiting its turn for an estimate. Time to decide how much to put into this sentimental runabout.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the suggestions. As I am getting into this refit we discovered the transom is going to need replacing. So this just got a little more involved. This is a 1990 hull so now I just need to decide how far to take this project. The boat is in South Carolina and currently at a restoration/ fiberglass shop awaiting its turn for an estimate. Time to decide how much to put into this sentimental runabout.
Depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to get involved, I guess. Are you considering selling the boat at all or do you plan on holding onto it? If you're considering selling the boat, I'd definitely think about doing it before the repower and transom rebuild as those are both going to cost a considerable amount of money.

Reactions: t

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agree with Parthery, for what you will pay for a new transom, may be time to cut loose. Several GWs in your area, maybe even upgrade to a 22. I said I would never buy another 2 stroke, but I did it anyway, when boats were scarce a few years ago.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since it sounds like the transom refit is already underway, your options may be to sell it as/is and buy something else, or see it through to the end.

I'd look for a Yamaha F150. Perfect motor for that boat...you can reuse controls and harnesses and save some money.