motor surging

dan313

Reaction score
My 01 200 hpdi started to surge today. At one point i couldnt get more than 3500 rpms. When i did get the rpms up i couldnt get more than 4500. I normally get 5200 wide open. Can this be a vst filter problem??
If it is, how do i go about changing it?

Thanks,

Lenny

catch22

Reaction score
Surging is a symptom of fuel starvation, so yes... it could be the vst filter.

I would start by replacing your main fuel/water seperator filter, and then the motors primary filter. If either of those are restricted, it will starve the vst tank, (kind of like a carbeurator bowl/float). Then move on to the vst filter. If that doesn't do it, my next guess would be the fuel pump, (hope not :cry: ).

Also... if it's still surging after replacing the filters, you might want to try connecting a portable gas tank with fresh gas, to see if there's any problem with your boats fuel tank/system, (pick-up, fuel lines, etc).

Here's a link for plenty of info on the vst filter. Compliments of BobP.... :wink:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

And here's the link for step by step vst filter replacement, (includes pics). Again... thanks to BobP...
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/66928

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
VST
filyter, likely
Get it fixed.

Dealer can check pressures in system.

dan313

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I will change the filter sometime this week. The pictures are great and will be very helpfull. I changed the water seperator before the boat went into the water. And as for the inline filters they were changed last year. I've owned the boat 3years and i never changed the vst filter. Hopefully this will take care of my problem..

Lenny

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can readily see if the VST filter is plugged when you remove it, just suck on the little nipple on the back side, then do the same thing with the new one before it goes in.

See a difference?

dan313

Reaction score
I finally got around to changing the vst filter. I ran the boat and the surging stopped but i cant get more than 4600 rpms at wide open throttle. Any ideas???

Lenny

fastal

Reaction score
Dan, how did you make out? I have the same motors on my boat and one of them came down with the same sickness as yours.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dan, take it in to the Yamaha dealer, they have some gauges they hook up to check the various pressures and will see right away what's restricting. They can check the computer also.

catch22

Reaction score
If your 100% sure the surging probelm is gone, then ignore this 1st paragraph... if not, like I mentioned earlier... get a portable, (6 gallon) gas tank and connect it after the boats main filter, (Racor?). This will eliminate the boats entire fuel tank/system. You might have a kinked/restricted line, restriction in the tank pick up, sediment/crap in the lines... a venting problem, etc, etc. A fuel line that's kinked, or has a build up on the inside wall, (this has happened in some cases due to ethonal) has the effect of a smaller diameter, (ID) fuel line, which can starve the motors vst tank and cause surging. In any event and again... only if it's surging, it's worth doing to prove wether it's the motor or your boats fuel supply.

With the surging problem out of the way, the first thing I'd look at is your throttle linkage at the motor. Make sure the cable adjustment nut hasn't come lose and moved, (see figure) - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html
Disconnect the cable connection, (if you have to) to make sure the throttle cable is traveling far enough to match the throttle linkage travel. Have someone move the control lever while you check it out at the motor. I know it's a long shot, but maybe a piece of hardware/plastic/junk, who knows?... got lodged around the linkage area and is resticting it, or something just might be jammed. I think items 27, 34, and 37 control timing advance, so make sure they're not restricted. Lightly grease any/all linkage points.

Another item you can look at is the belt that drives the fuel pump. Just wondering if it were worn/stretched if it would cause your problem.
Item # 10 - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

You should see somewhere around 5300 to 5500 max rpm's, (depending on load). No tabs, trimmed up a bit.

After that, I'd do like BobP said... dealer time.

catch22

Reaction score
BobP said:
You can readily see if the VST filter is plugged when you remove it, just suck on the little nipple on the back side, then do the same thing with the new one before it goes in.

See a difference?

We're gona need some pictures for that one Bob, lol. :lol:

JK... :D

dan313

Reaction score
I was bringing the boat to the mechanic on sat. I was able to get the engine up to 5200rpms. I brought it back to 3500rpms and then back up to 5200. I did this 5 or 6 times and it ran fine. Except for changing the vst filter I have no clue as to why it is ok now. Maybe a blockage....

I asked the mechanic about it and he said leave it alone and see what happens. No sense bringing it to him and its running fine.

Thanks for all the replies,

Lenny

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Catch22, it's funny, my old Nissan Z factory service manual uses pictograph sketches shows how to test things, one shows one sucking on a tube or hose, with cheeks bowed in, always reminds me of the Nissan manual when I need to test something.

catch22

Reaction score
BobP said:
Catch22, it's funny, my old Nissan Z factory service manual uses pictograph sketches shows how to test things, one shows one sucking on a tube or hose, with cheeks bowed in, always reminds me of the Nissan manual when I need to test something.

Crazy :shock: ... that's almost begging for a law suit, lol.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Catch, have you claned the O2 sensor yet?

My starboard motor cold idles at a lower variable RPM and stalls after about 10 seconds struggling to stay running. Starts right up each time.
Goes in gear and runs fine, then when going into neutral after a run - idles perfectly, let it idle 1/2 hour the other day - perfect.

It also doesn't idle up in RPM at dock as high as port does, I can get perhaps 3K on the port , way less with starbaord, that's after it is warm and running normally at 600-700 RPMS.

I recall first stating the motors at home on the muffs, and the prot would run fast enough and I could get more, but the starboard struggled to keep running. It would only rev up on muffs if I put it in gear.

4th season have yet to clean O2 sensors, but only use about 60 hrs per year. All filters done this year

Or could it be something else?

catch22

Reaction score
Yes Bob, I did clean it at the beginning of the season.

I honestly can't say whether your problem is O2 sensor related or not, but it's definitely worth trying. Cleaning it can only help it's performance.

I usuall just remove the sensor and let it soak in a bath of de-carbonizer, (engine tuner) over night. Then spray the sensor thoroughly with carbuerater cleaner. Let it dry and re-install. Seems to work ok.

The interior of the mounting block can get all carboned up too. But, be carefull if you decide to remove it, (to clean it). Those bolts are a different alloy, compared to other engine bolts, and they have a locking compound, (locktite?) on the threads. I would not attempt removing them without heat, (for fear of breaking). Then I would replace them with new ones.

Had a situation a few years back where one of those mounting screws was broken off flush, (don't know why) causing a large gap. That really screwed up the sensor. Motor ran rough through almost the entire rpm range. Luckily I got the broken bolt out with heat, (propane torch) and an e z out. As long as I kept heat on the aluminum area around the screw, I could back it out, but as soon as I took the heat away, the threads locked up. I guess it was due to the locktite. Anyway, I cleaned up the sensor and the block, re-installed and everything was fine.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks guys

I don't mind the spring work, but when I'm done and it's in the water hate to have to attend to these things.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
catch22 said:
Desperado said:
This solved the problem on one of my 200 HPDIs. Fairly imple and cheap.

http://www.boatsetup.com/O2sensor.pdf

Nice!

DO NOT USE THIS WAY TO TEST 02 SENSORS!!!

you will ruin them in a second!!

this needs to be pulled off the net

in factory training we saw a video of a guy burning his whole face and hands