Motor Trim

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a GW 232 with Twin 150's. The motors don't trim up and down equally. Can anyone inform me how to fix this issue?
Thanks.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
K2: he said "equally" not evenly. I'm guessing he's referring to the rate or speed of the trim, meaning one trims up faster than the other. Your Grady looks great by the way...

If there isn't much variation between the two engines during the trim process, it's normal.

I had a 232 Gulfstream with twin F200's and they didn't trim up at the same rate. I had to use the individual toggles on the throttle box to get them to the same attitude. Same with my current Marlin with 350's. The port engine trims up slightly faster than the stbd one. As with the Gulfstream, I just adjust them individually to compensate for the difference.

If the difference is really drastic, I would call a dealer's service dept, but I can't, nor do I like to fix anything.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you. What same to mind was how dramatically the tilt rates changed on mine when I did the hydraulic rebuild. Depending upon how long it's been since OPs have been serviced, the issue could be related to "actuator passage atherosclerosis." Or whatever the real term is for when they get clogged up and subsequently constrain fluid flow. ;)

seasick

Reaction score
Or it could be that it needs to be bled. Cycling up and down may not completely bleed the system. The best way is to follow the service manual instructions which require the opening of the manual relief valve.
There are also other things than can affect the tilt motor performance like a somewhat bad relay or even a dirty/corroded connection

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
yes, there are many possibilities. I think the one commonality is that servicing them will likely be the easiest path to isolating in remedying the problem. For what it's worth.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Actuator Passage Atherosclerosis.

I'm writing this one down...

Every doctor has their own diagnosis but before you start treating for Atherosclerosis you might should consider that depending on the age of the patient it could just be the beginning Prostate enlargement affecting the rate of trim.:)

Reactions: ScottyCee

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The originator of the topic has not said how much difference between the engines exists as the trimming process unfolds.

I repeat, if it's minimal, both mine and several other owners' twin setups do the same thing. We don't know much difference it takes to bug him.

Until the Author describes the difference in more detail, for ex. "The port engine is already trimmed up when the stbd engine is only halfway," it is up for grabs as to whether it's a normal variation like mine and others, or it really is Atherosclerosis.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
LOL. I'm thinking that despite my creative phrasing, you guys know what I meant. My wrenching abilities out-shadow my mechanical vocabulary...

The outcome was fairly profound when we serviced the RAMs. Prior to that they moved at noticeably different speeds, didn't stay in position sync at all, and didn't sound good. Tear down revealed that they were blowing by to a certain extent and were full of 16 years worth of dirt and deposits. Now they make a very happy high pitched sound, move a lot faster, and at nearly the same speed. There's a fraction of a second where one catches up to the other at the ends of the range but it's almost not noticeable.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
LOL. I'm thinking that despite my creative phrasing, you guys know what I meant. My wrenching abilities out-shadow my mechanical vocabulary...

The outcome was fairly profound when we serviced the RAMs. Prior to that they moved at noticeably different speeds, didn't stay in position sync at all, and didn't sound good. Tear down revealed that they were blowing by to a certain extent and were full of 16 years worth of dirt and deposits. Now they make a very happy high pitched sound, move a lot faster, and at nearly the same speed. There's a fraction of a second where one catches up to the other at the ends of the range but it's almost not noticeable.
Don't short yourself; Your vocabulary is right up there.

• Haha
Reactions: ScottyCee