Motor well scuppers, the long and short...

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been eye-balling 'em every time I walk around doing all the repair projects wondering if I should take them apart for a look-see. Finally did last night and it's a good thing. These are the rubber flap jobs with the white plastic flange and 4-screws holding them it. Piss-poor design if you ask me...too many parts, prone to failure. The drain is white plastic 2-piece male/female fit. The female ID is barbed and installed from the outside. The male piece, installed from the motor well side, is barbed to self tighten when you apply pressure from both sides. I could write another paragraph about how the outside flap and flange and flap are sealed; but in a nut shell the fate of your nads are in how good 3-rubber gaskets seal to stop water ingress. In my case, the first gasket against the transom was dry rotted on the ID hence bad seal between the plastic drain and hull. I cleaned the gaskets, silconed them together and sealed aroung the outside of plastic drain with silicon. Checked this morning and it looked like everything was sealed. They're coming out next year. Think I'm going to use the bronze swedge installed scuppers like I had on my Escape. Wondering why Grady just didn't use those in the first place, any ideas? Is there a better design that the factory crap I have now?

You guys that want to repower your old Gradys with 4-strokes better check to see where your scuppers will be. The ones on my boat are not designed to be under water.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm confused, sounds like your describing your deck drain scuppers but your calling them motor well scuppers.
Motor wells don't usually have flaps, can you clarify?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yup, motor well scuppers, I have 4 of 'em. POS plastic, destine to fail. Got water in one of the bottom flapper screw holes that I'm drying out now.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ok? if you replace with the brass tubes, they too will fail after a couple years due to corrosion. there are better more permanent options. question is do you need the scupper flap?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would say so. They were on there from the factory. What's better than the brass tubes?? The flap assy looks like it will cover any type of drain.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Those plastics work fine, no piss-poor design. The "piss-poor design" is what puts scuppers below the waterline. Not the scupper itself. Every plastic/vinyl thru-hull is destined to fail after 10 or so years.